What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New GTX 780 Ti no video signal, need help!

Derelict77

Hi all,

First post so I’ll try to be clear and concise. Recently bought a Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti that on installation prevents does not display any video. I have an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3 that has an led feedback system which stays lit when a hardware issue has been detected. When I install the 780 Ti the VGA led stays on. If I swap in my old ATI 5830 or two 5830s everything works fine. The state the PC is in when the 780 Ti is installed is the same as if no PCI power cables were connected to it. This means the fans run but the VGA led stays on and no signal is present.

I am hoping someone with similar issues or stronger hardware knowledge can point me towards a solution that gets me up and running (and gaming) with my new card.

Here are the things I have tried but have made no difference:

* Store I bought the 780 Ti at tested the card and it works without issue
* Reseated the video card and the power connectors to it over a dozen times
* Mother board has been updated to the latest BIOS as of May 18th 2014, ver 3603
* Fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit
* Reset CMOS with new card installed
* Swapped out multiple DVI cables and tried both DVI outs
* Swapped out PSU for the one used in store to successfully test the card
* Removed all but the main hard drive to lower load on the PSU
* Removed two sticks of RAM to lower load on the PSU
* No over-clocks are running as BIOS update reset everything

Hardware list here

* CPU: Intel i7-2600k
* Mobo: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3, BIOS 3603
* Video Card: Gigabyte 780 Ti OC version Rev 1.0, SKU is GV-N78TOC-3GD (two XFX ATI 5830s available)
* PSU: Corsair TX750 ver 1 (new Corsair HX750 available for testing)
* RAM: G SKill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL x4
* PSU: Corsair H100 CPU cooler
* Hard Drives: Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB, Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 2TB, Corsair CSSD-F60GB2 (this is the OS drive), Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 256GB
* Optical Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S243D DVD+R
* 8 120mm case/CPU cooler fans
* 5 channel fan controller, do not recall the make on this one

I think that is everything. If there is anything I have missed please let me know and fire away with questions!

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Sounds like you've covered damn near all of the bases. The only simple steps not listed (and you've probably already tried them, just haven't listed them as being tried) would be a cmos reset with the new card installed, and trying the card in a different slot.

Aside from that.... it's a lot of work, but how about trying with the motherboard out of the case? Doesn't happen often, but I have seen instances where a case was preventing the vid card from seating fully and thus wasn't making a good contact.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
As Steve mentioned, try other board slots.
The TX750 is more than capable of driving a single 780Ti, along all the additional hardware.
You don't mention which cable(s) you have tried between the card and the monitor. Have you tried other types (VGA, DVI, HDMI)?

I remember Stoanee's issue with no POST, only to find out that the monitor cable was dead.

Derelict77

Hmm, I did try a CMOS reset but now I can't recall if I did it while the new card was installed or if I was looking up possible solutions with the old card in and swapped the new card in after. Going to try CMOS reset with new card installed tonight.

So there are two available slots for cards and I have tried the second slot on a few occasions and the result was the same as using the main slot.

I have tried the same DVI cable that works with either of the 5830s and an HDMI cable that works under other situations. Have a display port cable too though, going to add that to the mix this evening. On some of my swaps I have not even hooked up the monitor as the 5830 was going past the fault state without a cable plugged in. Now I am wondering if some combo may have worked but the new card needs a display connection to get past boot. That would be a silly mistake on my part, going to make sure it's always in from now on.

After all that if time permits I may give the motherboard out of case a go and see what happens, though that may have to wait for the weekend.

Thanks for the ideas Charlie and Steve, I'll report back this evening on how it goes.

Derelict77

Alright, cleared the CMOS and that did not fix the issue.

The boot led is now turning off(it may have always been and i was too impatient in my frustration to wait) and after swapping back to the 5830 I am presented with a windows did not shut down properly error sometimes. So that means the system posts and boots but I still get no video and the VGA led stays solid red.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
It's not driver-related, since the BIOS screen does not show up at all, right?

Reading a few posts about P67 boards and UEFI and 780s, it seems few managed to resolve this issue by either disabling 'Secure Boot', or 'Force Compatible ROM'. For this, use the 5830 you have on hand. Boot first into Windows, uninstall the ATI - AMD drivers then reboot in the BIOS to change the setting.

Ref. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=386998

Bond007

That is a confusing one. It really sounds like you have tried it all.

The only other thing I can think of is that for some reason the motherboard could be defaulting to integrated graphics vice the 780 Ti. Easy way to find out is to hook up to one of those video connectors and see if its getting signal. If it is (or even if you want to try something else) go into the bios with the 5830 (or integrated if it is running) and force it to run PCIE graphics and disable everything related to integrated. Not sure if this will help, but you have done everything else I can think of.

enaberif

You meant this? LucidLogix® Virtu (Universal Switchable Graphics) - Auto Switching between Integrated Graphics and NVIDIA/AMD Cards.

But the I/O plate does not have any Onboard graphics connectors... Motherboards - P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3

SO it's switching between gpus, but only a single output? And it's working with the AMD 5830?

I'm not entirely sure.. This whole thing is rather weird. I was only suggesting the vga/dvi situation if it existed.

But definitely check the bios first.

Latest posts