What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rogers Data Plans Location Agnostic?

JD

Staff member
I don't recall ever seeing a "National" data roaming option on my Nexus 5 running stock Android...

I've always keep anything with the word "roaming" in it disabled. I've gone from Toronto to Kingston with no issues. Same with Toronto up to Blue Mountain (even had LTE on the slopes!). Granted I wasn't tethering, but using data on my phone.

And since your running CM, I don't see how Rogers could tell if you were tethering or not. I know carriers like AT&T actually strip out all tethering options from the ROM and replace it with their own app so they can charge you for it.

sswilson

Staff member
I don't know what base android version CM is using... apparently the newer android versions have a registry switch for connected devices which can be seen by providers. I came across a couple of references to it last night but without a good grounding in mucking about with cell phone system files it was all gobbledygook to me..... ;)

wedge22

Based on the information you have shared so far I believe the issue is related to the CM as it is unlikely that would be set to block tethered data as a default due to the nature of CM. The other variable to consider is Rogers Pay and Go, the apn for tethering may be provisioned on your device but the Pay and Go billing system may not allow tethered data for some reason.

I have found the information on the Rogers site.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, thanks for that. I'd seen that earlier and because of the possible differing interpretations had asked the CSR about tethering because of it. She seemed fairly certain that tethering would work. I was also under the impression that using the wifi hotspot option as opposed to usb tethering wasn't seen by the provider.

That said, it's no biggie.... I can always use the data on my phone to check my email and surf the web. I'll never use the whole balance so it's not like I'm overly worried about shelling out the $50.

JD

Staff member
Have you tried flashing the latest nightly CM build? Might fix the problem if that's what's at fault.

sswilson

Staff member
Have you tried flashing the latest nightly CM build? Might fix the problem if that's what's at fault.

Heh... I just tried that.... currently doing a factory reset because it hung.... :)

Install this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi

Foxfi is popular in the US for folks who use plans without tethering. It came preinstalled on a few roms I used to use on my Note I and it seemed to work well.

Read above... not sure I want to play with it much more or I might lose my phone for the trip.... :)

edit: And now I've got to figure out how to get my google account back... the reset loaded the nightly I'd installed, but it doesn't have any google play or functionality and doesn't appear to have the ability to log into my google account... currently attempting to go back to the stable release I still had on the phone... :)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Last edited:

Latest posts