What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Arctic Silver 5 cooling problems?

Kat18810

I've had this computer for about a year now, and it's the first one that I've ever built. I've been having some cooling problems on the cpu, and I thought it was due to one of three problems, which I have been systematically working on:
1) The case I originally had this computer in had very poor airflow
2) I possibly needed new thermal paste applied
3) I'm currently running a stock heatsink/fan unit on my cpu

Last night, I applied Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound to my heatsink and cpu as directed by their website. Then fought with my heatsink to get it back into place. After about 45 minutes of fighting, I confidently put the case back together, and turned the computer back on.

I had read on the actual Arctic Silver website that it takes anywhere from 50 to 200 hours for the thermal compound to break in completely and properly cool, but when I loaded CPUID HWMonitor, I was shocked to see my computer hitting upper 60's and low 70's in Celcius. I left the computer running overnight in the hopes that it would help to break in the thermal compound and improve its cooling abilities, but this morning when I woke up and launched HWMonitor once again, I was shocked to see that my cpu actually peaked at almost 80 Celcius. Also, the overall temperature performance is no better than it was last night.

The reason for me posting this thread is to find out whether or not other users of this product have had similar problems, and if so, is time the answer, or is there something else I can do? This thing is my baby, and I hate to see it having these problems.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and comment. :thumb:

sweenytodd

Re seat your cpu cooler, you might have mounting issues. The 60's and 70's temperatures, is your computer idling or in full load?

Kat18810

The instructions for the thermal compound said to first apply a small mound (enough that once you spread it out over the heatsink's base it covers it thinly) and then a vertical line about 1mm wide up the center of the processor. The heat sink is mounted properly. The temperatures I saw this morning were from it just idling, but it has been hitting high today while I've done nothing but use my internet browser. I've just listed everything to show that I have gone through the proper steps. Again, my question is, has anybody else ever had this problem when they first applied Arctic Silver 5?

Kat18810

This is my current cpu. Upon further investigation last night, i found that there are mixed reports on the stock cpu cooler this has. A majority of the people say it's worth upgrading the stock cpu cooler, even if you're not overclocking. It may just be that a lot of the stock cpu coolers are from a bad batch, or people just don't look at the temps or care. Generally, I've found this cpu cooler to run at something like AMD temperatures, but I'm running Intel.

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K - Newegg.com

sweenytodd

Okay I have the same cpu too. I had max of 85C on full load, stock clocks, no overclocking when I first had it. I've also dellided the cpu and changed the TIM inside the chip. If you don't know what I mean, here's a pic of it.

8775f061_20140707_194816.jpeg

For stock clocks, stock cooler is good for its job. I would definitely upgrade the cpu cooler when overclocking. If you want to upgrade, how much are you willing to spend on a aftermarket cpu cooler?

Kat18810

Currently I'm torn between two cpu coolers. I won't pay more than $50, and won't be getting a water cooling unit because as I do no overclocking, it wouldn't be used to its full potential.

I know that this particular cooler has a lot of good reviews so I've been looking at it for a while, and I know a few people with it that are pleased with its results:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan - Newegg.com

I also ran across this one last night, and have to do some digging around to see what its reviews are:
EVGA 100-FS-C901-KR 92mm Sleeve mITX ACX CPU Cooler, Direct Touch 4 Heat Pipe - Newegg.com

sswilson

Staff member
AFAIC, you can't go wrong with the 212. It's not a top of the line cooler, but it's a solid after market cooler that can typically be price matched down pretty well.

I'm not familiar with the EVGA, but the fact it's a 92mm fan suggests that it would be louder (higher rpm for smaller sized fans) than the 212.

Latest posts