What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bottleneck accessing media server

hedgehog885

Hello,

I'm currently experiencing network bottleneck when accessing my media server from my local computer. So issues like transfers from server to local is at the rate of ~1-2MB/s, or viewing media contents in 1080p is lagging. I have never had an issue such as this before so I'm not too experience on what may be the possible cause. So far what I have checked and confirmed to not be the issue is the ethernet cable (swapped it with another), router settings (updated firmware), and my local computer (OS refresh). This issue started happening about a couple months ago.

If anyone can please help me diagnose this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

LarkStarr

Info on your entire network setup would be good. And the setup of your media devices, servers and clients.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Iv had nearly same issues with my htpc what fixed its speed was making sure I connected to it with a account I made on htpc.

hedgehog885

Happy New Year! Apologize to have to revive my 2 month old thread, even though I never got back to your responses. My bad for that as it was a pretty busy away-from-home couple months. I do and would appreciate any feedback to help me troubleshoot this bottlenecking issue I'm experiencing.

info on your router hardware would be helpfull is it N, ac ?
Info on your entire network setup would be good. And the setup of your media devices, servers and clients.
My network is a pretty basic setup, I guess:

- my router (RT-N16) hard wires to both my PC and server using CAT6 cables
- flashed to DD-WRT, latest King Kong build (default settings with exception to wireless protection enabled settings)
- no major configuration within router settings (prior to bottlenecking and presently, again left as default)
- Both PC and server have static addresses (since refresh everything is default, issue remains)

For my server, its setup for file sharing. No roles have been installed. Basically just enabled directory sharing.
For my wireless (N), I am able to surf and download from the web without any noticeable difference in speed. Everything looks optimal in my opinion.
Again, my setup from the time it was working optimally a few months ago till now has not been changed.

Any additional information required, please let me know.

At this time I have attempted the following without success:
- swap ethernet cables
- reformatted server and PC OSes
- updated DD-WRT firmware
- attempted both dynamic and static ip settings

Could be a hard drive issue?
I have considered this a possible cause. I ran a stress test using HD Tune Pro. I compared it the results to another identical hard drive and the "Read" is off by ~20MB. I can post the results as I don't not be experience in identifying any issues, but from the looks of it, based on the numbers and graph comparisons, I say it may not be the hard drive. I have yet to physically swap the hard drive out for another.

If by mediaserver they mean PS3Media Server its probably one of the worst.
No, by media server its an actual PC based server.

Iv had nearly same issues with my htpc what fixed its speed was making sure I connected to it with a account I made on htpc.
I understand, however its PCs accessing the media server that is bottlenecking.

Possible causes:
- server primary hard drive
- router

Thank you for all the responses thus far.

hedgehog885

Are the media files coming off a raid setup?
It did (RAID10), however at that time no issues was noticed. The issue actually started when it was configured for RAID. After reformat I installed and now running Server 2012 using the Disk Spaces feature. Unfortunately the issue remains.

Latest posts