What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fans compatible w/ Intel S5000XVN

y11971alex

Hi Canucks:

I have at hand a somewhat old computer that I want repaired. The CPU fans broke down a few months ago when my family was using it, and unfortunately they were thrown away in an unsuccessful repair attempt. I now need recommendations for 2 fans compatible with this motherboard, on which is mounted 2 X5355 CPUs. I tried to fit Intel's D39267-002 on them, but the screws seem to be too narrow to bite into the brackets mounted behind the motherboard.

The online literature seems sparse and does not address my concerns in sufficient detail to enable me to resolve this pressing issue.

y11971alex

Weird, since the HSFs you tried are designed for LGA771 boards.

I'm not even quite sure that I actually know how to install them correctly. Would it be more helpful if I uploaded a few pictures of the situation? I've tried about a dozen ways of fitting them in, but none of them worked. :sad:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
The screws have to align first. The HSF should also have retention springs on each screw, which in turn may demand more downforce applied while torqueing.

y11971alex

The screws have to align first. The HSF should also have retention springs on each screw, which in turn may demand more downforce applied while torqueing.

I'm quite sure that I've applied sufficient force during the installation process; the m/b is bending under my exertion and might break should more force be applied. On the other hand, the screws simply wouldn't bite into the brackets behind the m/b.

sswilson

Staff member
Maybe pictures would be a good thing. I'm not familiar with the platform, but every (non pushpin) intel backplate I've seen/used in a long time has had the threads protruding through the motherboard mounting holes and that doesn't sound like it's the case with your backplate.

y11971alex

5A6D0817-C135-4F45-BDA9-AB5B350583EF_zpsfoaoiilt.jpg
Maybe pictures would be a good thing. I'm not familiar with the platform, but every (non pushpin) intel backplate I've seen/used in a long time has had the threads protruding through the motherboard mounting holes and that doesn't sound like it's the case with your backplate.

six8ight

Just ran into the same issue... Here's the answer...

You've likely figured it out by now, but to anyone else running into this issue.

You are missing the 771 backplate.

You have a CEK spring installed, which looks like a backplate but isn't. It's actually a spring to prevent shock to the processor/cooler. The backplate mounts to it.

Here is the CEK unit: CEK Spring for Intel Xeon - Retention Bracket
Here is the backplate you need to obtain: Socket-771 Backplate - Xeon LGA771 Cooler

Latest posts