What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cheap new box

perfecto

Yea I was going to pricematch everything at NCI and go pick it up there, they've always been pretty good to me there - ever since they were a one-location tiny storefront in Burnaby. :)

I can probably be content with the EVGA 9600GT for 99$, will be a huge upgrade over what I have now!

Dashock

Perfecto if you can snag the 8800gt over the 9600gGT please do i mean alot of places have sales for it for 99-125 dollars it will be worth it specially if you game its just the market value of these cards are sooo down and the value they perform please try to snag it you wont regret it. You do not game but im sure this card will last you a couple of years if you can snag it for close to the price of the 9600gt or a few dollars more i think it will be worth it. Mine is running nice and strong with overclocks.

And the rest of your setup is good keeping with a budget in mind im glad you did not cheap out on the Hard drive the Seagate 7200.11 500gbs are awesome cool running reliable ones i have 3 of them and will be getting 2 more i use them exclusively when building computers for clients cant say enough good things about them. With yer processor watever you get a good deal on with one of those new 45nm chips will be great cause im sure even if you get the chip you have chosen you can easily push to 2.8ghz the least, im not familair with yer motherboard.

philthygeezer

_MG_1804smshp.jpg

Get the Cooler Master 590 instead of the Antec 300. I went through this and it's a MUCH better case for similar money.

perfecto

I'd rather get a mid-tower, think I'm going to go for the Coolermaster Elite RC-330 - seems to get good reviews and is inexpensive. Trying to make room in the budget to either upgrade the CPU or video card. :)

geokilla

All the GPUs that the other suggested are perfect for you.

You may want to change the hard drive to a 640GB hard drive.

perfecto

Would there be any benefit to using DDR2-1066 instead of the DDR2-800 if I'm going for the E7200 processor? The motherboard supports it and it isn't that much more expensive, will there be a decent performance gain out of it?

Still working on the 8800GT... I just wonder why Passmark (PassMark Videocard Benchmarks - High End) shows the 9600GT ahead of the 8800GT? Should I just write that off?

perfecto

Finalized my order, going to pick it up next week :

E7200 Processor
Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Motherboard
2x1gb DDR2-800 OCZ 5-5-15 dual channel kit
Samsung SH-S223F DVD-RW
Corsair VX450 P/S
OCZ Vendetta2 heatsink
Coolermaster Elite RC-330 Case
BFG Geforce 9800GT
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500G

Thanks for all of your help!