What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fresh windows 10 = Shutdown OK, but no restart - NOW IN BOOT LOOP!

Bond007

Please jump down to post #10

I just gave my old laptop a fresh install of windows 10 (it was previously running this). During the windows install (and now after it finished installing) the laptop was not doing any restarts successfully. Whether self restarting during the install, or now in windows when I try and restart the PC, it will hang just before I would expect it to power off. I was able to work around this by holding the power button to hard shut it down and then manually power it back on...at which point the install continued. Shutdowns on their own work fine.

The laptop is the one below in my signature.

Anyone had this happen before, or have any ideas on a fix?

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

is this on a laptop? if so maybe power down pull the power cable pull the battery to purge any electricity, then reverse the procedure ( put everything back) and see if to fixes it. I had this happen to me both on my older laptop and also once or twice on my 2500k intell PC I had to purge the electircity and I am thinking this purges what ever is left in the memory also.

Bond007

I will give it a shot.

Update/additional detail: 1. When I say it hangs, it says restarting, the screen goes blank, ssd activity stops, but the power lights/fan stay running.
2. It just did the same thing on a shutdown as well...ugh.

Shadowmeph

I will give it a shot.

Update/additional detail: 1. When I say it hangs, it says restarting, the screen goes blank, ssd activity stops, but the power lights/fan stay running.
2. It just did the same thing on a shutdown as well...ugh.
do you have a linux live distro on usb or disk try loading that just to see if it is hardware or software related or try a repair install ( I think that is what it is called)

sswilson

Staff member
This is a fresh install? Any weird unknown devices in device manager? Is it possible that it's something like Dell's "Vault" thingy causing problems?

Bond007

Battery removal didn’t change anything. It was functioning correctly on win10 prior to the fresh install.

I will check device manager and see about a “repair” in win10 as well...I will update

rjbarker

I was unable to properly update my "newer" Asus ROG laptop to the Post Oct Windows 10 update. My Laptop would freeze at the ASUS splash screen every single time.
I finally was able to get past this hurdle by disable "Fast Boot" in the Laptop BIOS.....it was extremely frustrating....once Fast Boot (or maybe Secure Boot...cant remember for sure)...all went well and no problems since.

Bond007

Looks like there are 2 items in device manager with no drivers available. It's other deviced > base system device. Not sure what they are. Sound/sd/usb/disk drive all seem to be working. Properties says "PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 1, device 0, function 3)" and the second one is the same only function 2. Any ideas on how to figure out what they are?

Bond007

Per my updated title, the laptop is now in a boot loop and I can't even get into bios.

I thought I was making progress when I found the unknown devices showing in device manager were to do with the SD card reader. Got the proper drivers in and was off...though this still didn't fix the laptop not shutting down or restarting completely. I then tried a fix of windows, which went fine until it needed to restart. At which point I did the standard hard shutdown (per post #1). Windows then loaded, saying it failed to fully complete its progress and went to the previous configuration. Once the laptop was shutdown it didn't start back up (boot loop). I just pulled the entire thing apart, re-pasted the cpu, and tried different ram. No joy. I pulled the CMOS battery while it was apart and then put it back in.
It is an aspire 5560.

Going to try and find the original HDD and check that the ssd is still fine.

Thoughts now?

Latest posts