What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Laptop Recommendations

Cypher^64

Are there any 17" laptops with really small bezels? Minimum of a GTX 1060 and nvme slot

I was thinking of a new RTX series, but if good deals start to pop up on the 10 series I'm fine with that.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
slim bezels? nope...that hasn't appeared in gaming notebooks until new models were showcased at CES 2019.

your best bet though is to look at the Dell Gaming notebooks...the G7 is best, but G5 if prices are too rich for your blood.

Cypher^64

slim bezels? nope...that hasn't appeared in gaming notebooks until new models were showcased at CES 2019.

your best bet though is to look at the Dell Gaming notebooks...the G7 is best, but G5 if prices are too rich for your blood.

I've been noticing that about the 10 series laptops, some in the 15" range.

THis one has my interest and should be available Tuesday. Just a tad bigger than my Eurocom

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...aptop&cm_re=rtx_laptop-_-34-235-125-_-Product

I've been reading that several Asus models are prone to over heating and throttling. WIll the 20series run hotter or cooler than the 10series cards?

Soultribunal

Staff member
I've been noticing that about the 10 series laptops, some in the 15" range.

THis one has my interest and should be available Tuesday. Just a tad bigger than my Eurocom

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...aptop&cm_re=rtx_laptop-_-34-235-125-_-Product

I've been reading that several Asus models are prone to over heating and throttling. WIll the 20series run hotter or cooler than the 10series cards?

Unfortunately the 20XX series is a hotter, more power hungry card. Hopefully the refinement of the Turing core will change that. Unlike the 10Series where you could get basically a fully (Minus the Max-Q) enabled core, the Turing ones (with some exceptions) are toned down quite a bit to fit the thermal profile.
I wouldn't be surprised if most of the low profile laptops that get them have thermal issues.

-ST

Soultribunal

Staff member
I'm picking up a ge75 tomorrow. Now that some reviews are out, seems like a decent unit

Good Stuff, let me know how it works out for you. I worry about the thermals still but usually they do a decent job of managing that these days. Hopefully you enjoy it!

My RTX unit isn't coming in until March. So I will have to watch everyone enjoy theirs for now lol.

-ST

Cypher^64

Good Stuff, let me know how it works out for you. I worry about the thermals still but usually they do a decent job of managing that these days. Hopefully you enjoy it!

My RTX unit isn't coming in until March. So I will have to watch everyone enjoy theirs for now lol.

-ST

Are you getting a gs series?

Will it void the warranty to change thermal paste?

Soultribunal

Staff member
Are you getting a gs series?

Will it void the warranty to change thermal paste?

Not 100% if you will void it or not. I know some of the Heatsink assemblies will be a PITA to remove, but I would check with the manufacturer to see.

For me, I am getting an Alienware 51M , because it has desktop Graphics / CPU in a Laptop format (yeah it's huge, but I don't care). However delivery is in March LOL.

-ST

Cypher^64

Those look like monsters! If I didn't temporarily brick my Eurocom and have to wait 4 weeks-ish to get the ch341a to fix it I would have held off a bit.

Seems like most manufacturers aren't specifying whether or not they are the max-q version or not, so I'm not even sure which 2070 I'm getting in the MSI GE75.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Those look like monsters! If I didn't temporarily brick my Eurocom and have to wait 4 weeks-ish to get the ch341a to fix it I would have held off a bit.

Seems like most manufacturers aren't specifying whether or not they are the max-q version or not, so I'm not even sure which 2070 I'm getting in the MSI GE75.

Very nice,

I love Eurocom myself (sucks yours Bricked) but because I have access to heavy discounts with Dell, nothing else really comes close financially for the same performance (or I would have bought myself a Eurocom years ago).

Let me know what yours comes with. I think it will be a toss up between manufacturers on if it will be Max-Q or not (depends on their Thermal solutions). I do like the MSI Laptop designs.

I know what I ordered is a Monster (2 Power Adapters!!!! 240W + 180W) but I think in terms of longevity and such I will be in good shape my AW17 R4 is now 3 years old and going strong. And, when I get some more $$$ later on, I will pop out the RTX2070 and get a 2080. According to the marketing Doc, if I do that I get the upgraded PSU for free (330W).

-ST

Latest posts