What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help Me, Intel or AMD for upgrade

JD

Staff member
But I usually add USB 2.0 PCI expansion that connects to headers on the board and they are like 5 bucks on ebay
You can get USB3 ones as well now, since most motherboards have dual USB3 headers onboard these days.

Bond007

I haven’t used a new AMD, but I think I will go with Intel this round. AMD has always had problems with mobos, specifically chipsets. I still see some grumbling about that still. If they can get through that with some updates I will reconsider. But I will not spend a 1000 bucks on beta hardware. At least with intel, everything just works.

Any major cpu change usually has bugs that get sorted. The reason intel is solid right now is that they haven’t really changed anything in a number of years. Look back to their last big change when they went to 2xxx...those motherboards were so messed up some had to be rma’d For replacement.

moocow

I would go with AMD since you're playing with VM. The 10 frames difference between AMD and Intel doesn't bother me at all since both will play games just as well. I wouldn't use 3600 memory as it got very poor performance to price ratio.

justmehereajax

I did not notice USB 3.0 PCI expansion that connect to headers have gotten cheaper. They are like $5.52 CDN shipped from China Ebay now.

I used to buy ASUS branded 2x USB 2.0 and 1x Esata PCI expansion headers. I bought a bunch of them to use in multiple PCs I had. They were excellent quality the ASUS ones. Plugging things in and out with no problems .... back when esata was a thing lol. I still use them but dont plug in the sata part lol. Usually just the mouse and keyboard.

I purchased some generic USB 2.0 4x port expansion pci headers from china ebay. I purchased a couple and one of them only 3 ports work.... So thats is why I bought just ASUS branded ones from a seller in Canada ebay for $5 a pop shipped.

These USB 3.0 PCI expansion headers are almost the cost of a full blown 4x USB 3.0 PCIe expansion card lol = $7.91 for me from ebay china. lol

ipaine

I would go with AMD since you're playing with VM. The 10 frames difference between AMD and Intel doesn't bother me at all since both will play games just as well. I wouldn't use 3600 memory as it got very poor performance to price ratio.
I am thinking of getting 3600 memory because its like only $10-15 more than 3200. I am preparing for a 3rd gen Ryzen build. For an extra $10 I dont see why not. Good resale value I guess

I am starting to lean towards getting 3200MHz. Mainly cause at least here finding a kit of 3600MHz at a decent price is not easy. I mean Trident Z RGB 3600 CL17 is $399.99 while the 3200MHz CL15 is $309.99 so big difference. Might just get the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz CL16 set for $249.99. All of those are 2x16gb kits.

Hardware Unboxed just did a video showing the effect of different speeds and timings of memory using a 3900X. Pretty interesting.

Bond007

ipaine

Damn that's an even better deal. I honestly don't need rgb by any means. I was just looking at what I could find and missed those. Just wish they had them at Memory Express so I could just go in and pick them up. But yea, unless there happens to be a big sale or something I know I will be sticking to 3200MHz as it is just that much cheaper for not much loss in performance. And that performance can be made up with tight timings.

I think I'm convinced to go with AMD, and part of that is knowing that I could always put in a newer chip when Zen 2+ comes. Something that I couldn't do with Intel. Just hope that they get some of the initial bugs dealt with by the time I purchase things.

LegendMask

Maaaan!! HWC should get a kickback from AMD, two targets went down with AMD just before being hit with Intel :)

Latest posts