What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help Me, Intel or AMD for upgrade

moocow

I wish AMD would give me kick backs in the form of a 3950 with a 5700X. The matter of fact is that given the mix usage case, AMD is still better value. You can't run VM and game at the same time without a good thread count. Depending on the software, you want more thread count than speed. Yes, Intel still got the IPC lead but not by much (10% max?). In my case, I'm planning to run a Plex media server and an Android X86 compile VMs while gaming at the same time. That means a 16 thread CPU in a 4/6/6 or 4/12 configuration with at least 32GB of RAM. i9 is at least $100 more than the 3700X and both are tied in most benchmarks. Need more threads, move up to a 3900 which is only $10 more than the i9. Kind of hard to recommend an Intel at the moment.

justmehereajax

I can feel the difference between using older i5 and i7 before the core bump. The extra thread count makes multitasking seem smooth and responsive.

I tried out a 6/12 ryzen 1600 and feel it makes a great upgrade from a typical i7 from intel.

I dislike using computers with less than an i7 4/8 for my uses. When I use quad cores my usage scenario utilizes the cpu in the 90s. feels sluggish while doing it

Last edited:

justmehereajax

JD

Staff member
less than 10$ difference. I want ram for when Ryzen 4000 is released lol.
Why would you buy RAM now for an unreleased CPU series that we know nothing about? DDR4 prices continue to drop...

I think the Trident Z Neo is a decent value for something that might have a bit better support and still gets you the RGB (assuming you want it):
16GB: https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232866
32GB: https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232867
64GB: https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232869

The 32GB kit being the best value of the bunch, even if you want to buy 2 to get 64GB. But the timings aren't so great, being CL18. Might be able to cut that down if you run them at 3200 instead though.

Maybe not the greatest comparison, but the 2700X I recently got, I used with these: https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232092 ($367) as they were the cheapest 3200MHz set I could find, however I've yet to get them to run at 3200MHz stably. The XMP profile isn't sufficient. I'm currently running them at 2933MHz (aka stock speed of Ryzen 2000). I'll have to keep tinkering, but my first stab at using Ryzen Memory Calculator values didn't yield success either. So, IMO, Ryzen still is a lot more picky with RAM than Intel, not sure if Ryzen 3000 is considerably better than 2000.

Last edited:

moocow

If it's $10 difference, get the 3600 for a bit more performance squeeze. I mean that's the cost of 3 cups of medium coffee. I wish I can take advantage of the NAND prices right now but I can't. With Toby's factory "suffering" from power outage, Japan & Korea starting a trade war with source chemicals, and US & China trade war happening, the prices in Q4 may be choppy.

justmehereajax

With the option to upgrade Ryzen to more upcoming CPUs, it just makes sense to buy the best RAM you can ATM.

I will put a order in. It is a special order so I have to act fast. I don't need RGB. It is destined to be in a server in a crappy ATX case from the early 2000's lol.

EDIT: Just bought it and getting it shipped to the store to save a few on shipping costs. I would love a 3700 in the future at least to get double the thread count so I am prepping for the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts