What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ok kinda a network thing why cant rogers/teksavvy fix my damn speed issues

JD

Staff member
Has TekSavvy tried sending you another modem? I would imagine that's what Rogers has suggested to them as well.

When you plug directly into the modem, does it show 1Gbps? Almost sounds like maybe it's only negotiating at 100Mbps.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Has TekSavvy tried sending you another modem? I would imagine that's what Rogers has suggested to them as well.

When you plug directly into the modem, does it show 1Gbps? Almost sounds like maybe it's only negotiating at 100Mbps.

I agree, is it possible you're only using cat5 wire and not 5e or 6? Is your router/switch/hub/etc only 10/100?

90 is almost perfectly in line with a 100m cap due to infrastructure.

gingerbee

Thanks all well I am using only cat 6 or cat 7 for my whole network and I already have a second DSL line with Bell which maxes at 50/10 Mbps

I have not been able to check the modem my self but teksavvy/rogers said they checked the modem to make sure it was set to 1gbps. they dont give me access to it

Hopping it will all change soon rogers tech is coming Friday to set up an account with rogers and leaving teksavvy they offered me a better deal and said they should be able to fix it cause were getting another new line and they said they will check the speeds and everything before leaving.

So will have both lines for a couple of weeks. should be able to see what's up

The guy we dealt with at the rogers store said he use to be a tech and said he would put money on it was on teksavvy end cause he says they just rent lines from rogers the servers at the end belong to teksavvy how true this is I have no clue.

Keeping my fingers crossed cause we are huge bandwidth pigs I mean if I can get 400-800 Mbps I will be happy and keep the bell for a backup
all in my internet bill will be going down just under 20$ a month to a flat 200$ a month so I am happy about that

directly connected to the modem with cat 7 to a Thomson tc4350 DOCSIS 3.0 so speeds should be fine

the only thing that has not been tried is the new modem but this modem was new year and a half ago. but worked fine till rogers outage on aug 9

JD

Staff member
Generally TekSavvy is pretty good at forecasting bandwidth, and since it's not only during "peak" hours that you have this issue, I'd say things are fine on their end too. Could just be a weird provisioning issue or something else too, hard to say.

Hopefully going directly with Rogers will solve the problem. It really does suck, but it seems like the third parties are struggling these days. They should look at all joining forces and rolling their own network instead of having to rely on Bell/Rogers/etc.

gingerbee

I for sure will update this thread. Ya I can second that there all not doing great and like I said I was with teksavvy for over 10 years they have been nothing but great to me so not sure what the issues are, but really hoping another new line on the other tap at my building with rogers gear will solve some of the problems.

since everyone in the damn house is going for 4k streaming in the next couple of weeks just need to get there tv's hooked up lol
thanks all for all your help crossing my fingers it all works out in the end.

off-topic kinda another thing that pisses me of is bell runs fiber to the next block over but tells me it would cost me around 10g to run it to my block, yet I can find the fiber optic cable they use for a pretty good price for 1000 feet online for outdoor cable.

ya I know I don't know what I am talking about but they bragged that they brought fiber to downtown Orillia and my address doesn't get more downtown lol

Thanks again all will get back to you'll once rogers and teksavvy are both running

gingerbee

Ok, so the verdict is in I now have Rogers I am loving cause with just there install I now get 950/30 and things are getting back to normal and I have much faster internet for the same damn price.

The tech told me he has no clue why it's wasn't working but when he measured the line. He said it was too strong so he put a damper on it to get me very close to zero which already I am loving cause a battlefield update which use to take hrs took mins this time

Only little thing I am worried about is the heat the hitron coda-4582 runs pretty damn warm so made need to hook up a fan or two to cool it no biggie.

so there's the update but I still have no answers to what the problem was.

Thanks All have a great weekend

Izerous

Folding Team
Telus made a mess of things expanding their fibre network in Edmonton. Damaged side walks, didn't locate shaw lines and ultimately damaged them etc. There is no sign of life on my lawn where they were drilling.

But $10k seems a bit excessive though. I know in a past office location we were several blocks away from the nearest fibre hookup and we were still only quotes about $3k. The monthly costs would have been huge though I think the cost of the first 2 years were higher to help subsidize the cost but it wasn't all up front.

Latest posts