What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Thermalright releases a 1kg Cooling BEAST!

freeagent

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Is this really that much bigger? I have a D14 and an old IFX-14, both have 4x 8mm heatpipes in a dual-tower design like this. So what is the real difference or improvement? Might be interesting to find out... I like air cooling haha

CMetaphor

Quadfather
this Frost Spirit is a full 100g heavier than the D14...it's only 900g w/o fans. the IFX-14 is an odd one...the primary HSF is 790g with the add-on being another 130g, for a total of 920g. did you use the smaller heatsink?

I use it when it's possible to fit it.
Tbh, "just" being heavier won't convince me to crack open my very pained wallet right now. If it's the same size as the D14 then it may just mean denser fins? Which isn't necessarily better.

In short, it's all up to the design. Maybe they've got some new fin design to manage airflow, or something different that makes a noticeable improvement. Either way, gotta see real benchmarks.

I kinda wish there was a large spreadsheet with all the variables laid out. It's something I do with Forza games when I'm looking for the best car for a certain type of race. Put all the variables out there and compare every air cooler side by side. HSF material, weight, fin spacing, number of fins, number of heatpipes, heatpipe size, heatpipe contact. Fan size, number of fans, fan static pressure, fan noise, etc etc etc.

--- in short, I need more numbers before deciding if I'd want another massive air cooler (and I'm normally an easy sell for such things). If it's only a tiny improvement over my D14? Not worth it. Does the IFX-14 still have better idle temps (it really did when you used both heatsinks and fans on both)? Again, I don't see why I'd get this one if that's the case.

Entz

In my mind this thing was way bigger lol . As Mr.Friendly alluded to Its actually smaller than D14 by a bit but quite a bit heavier. So most likely denser fins as well. Guess we will see.

This: 140 x 121 x 158 (H) - 1000g
D14: 140 x 130 x 160 (H) - 900g
D15: 150 x 135 x 160 (H) - 980g

Actually may fit on a ITX board better and overall clear memory easier by being 9mm narrower.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
In my mind this thing was way bigger lol . As Mr.Friendly alluded to Its actually smaller than D14 by a bit but quite a bit heavier. So most likely denser fins as well. Guess we will see.

This: 140 x 121 x 158 (H) - 1000g
D14: 140 x 130 x 160 (H) - 900g
D15: 150 x 135 x 160 (H) - 980g

Actually may fit on a ITX board better and overall clear memory easier by being 9mm narrower.

Now you mention it, I can't even remember if my big noctua is a D14 or D15. I'll check later.

But 9mm narrower isn't a lot tbh. I'd rather have the whole thing taller and chop 15-20mm off both other dimensions, if I were wishing for max compatibility.

And on a different note: is dual flat towers really the best possible layout? Has every other kind been tried and found to be less effective? I admit, I kinda miss the days of having every weird type of heatsink possible out there for purchase. I bought many of them! And while some of them didn't have the greatest performance, they did win at other things that air coolers seem not to care about anymore.

Example: I've still got a Scythe Orochi, a massive, massive tower that's essentially one solid tower bent over the ram slots. Think it has like 8x 6mm heatsinks. If it's mounting system were better than the stock AMD two clip -style I'd have tried it out for performance. But despite that, it's still *by far* my best heatsink for passive/convection cooling. In a standard case with just one top 120mm fan running, I'd say it could handle a 65w CPU with Nothing else - no fans on the heatsink itself. At the moment it's running an OC'd APU with one fan on it in addition to the top exhaust, and it's barely even getting warm.

The fins are spaced Very wide apart, and the swarm of heatpipes spread evenly across the fins - Unlike tower or dual tower heatsinks which stick the heatpipes in a line and leave the middle of the fins far away, where the center of the fan is. It's just an all-around better design for passive cooling, and has made for some seriously *Silent* PC builds of mine over the years. Like, the quietest possible builds with the fewest numbers of fans, Without any sound proofing or dampening.

Shame such coolers don't have modern equivalents...

Soultribunal

Staff member
That is one heavy monster.
I do want one of these companies one day to make one out of Silver (unless that's already happened and I've missed it) just because.

-ST

Latest posts