What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

lowfat

Staff member
All lights all the time. Daytime running lights also dont light up your tail lights. Absolutely silly.
I agree about the taillights. Most people don't even turn them on if its raining/foggy.

But DRLs are generally more visible in the day time than low beams due to them having more upward glare.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
well, as long as the laws in the US don't force the issue, it's not likely to happen in a proper / organized or predictable manner. but I agree, lights turning on as soon as the car is in gear should be mandatory. and ensure they're positioned properly so they don't burn out oncoming drivers eyeballs. :p

sswilson

Staff member
I'm surprised that it isn't already standard on every vehicle sold in Canada.

As far as Canadian Daytime Running Lights goes.... we were posted to germany shortly after that became a thing and it drove the Europeans nuts.... we'd get non-stop flashing from folks passing us in the other direction trying to let us know that we'd left our lights on during the day.... :)

We're also way behind when it comes to lights and inspections... the annual German vehicle inspection included a device which rolled up to the front of the vehicle to check the angle(s) of your high and low beams. (In fact their whole vehicle inspection system was amazing... set up like the current drive in oil change places and checked a hell of a lot more than ours do in 5 - 10 minutes. )

Dwayne

We're also way behind when it comes to lights and inspections... the annual German vehicle inspection included a device which rolled up to the front of the vehicle to check the angle(s) of your high and low beams. (In fact their whole vehicle inspection system was amazing... set up like the current drive in oil change places and checked a hell of a lot more than ours do in 5 - 10 minutes. )

A long time ago, in BC, they used the same system for vehicle inspections. I remember driving through one and it was the same, I think it included the exhaust test too. I specifically recall the barrier they put in front of the vehicle to check the alignment of the headlights, although I don't recall if they did any more than check them and send you off to get them adjusted.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I actually think a Study was conducted last year (In Ontario) that had proved most DOT Rated HL either actually too bright or distracting to be considered legal for use on regular roadways.
I for one have photosensitivity and driving at night is a flipping nightmare with all these High Powered Lights both Factory and Aftermarket...

As well, while I do love Auto lamps there really needs to be indicators in more car's that they are not on and it's nightime. My Focus has it, and my wifes Escape has it, but so many cars I have been in don't.

Black Car, Side streets up north, and you'll never see it coming till it hits you (which has happened more than once for myself and friends).

-ST

Shadowmeph

I'm surprised that it isn't already standard on every vehicle sold in Cananga.

As far as Canadian Daytime Running Lights goes.... we were posted to germany shortly after that became a thing and it drove the Europeans nuts.... we'd get non-stop flashing from folks passing us in the other direction trying to let us know that we'd left our lights on during the day.... :)

many years ago early 1980s they used to have car inspections I dont remember the correct name for it and of course it was a hassle but one thing that they did and I liked was adjust the headlights now days at least here in BC they dont do that anymore

oops I just noticed after I posted this that Dwayne posted the same thing above hehe

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
GRRR.

Get notification that the 3950x is finally back in stock somewhere (Newegg.ca), got it in my cart, try to check it out, and it will not ship to anywhere in canada.

What the actual fuck!

Entz

Thats not to say there shouldnt be an option to turn them off, but even then, it should only be an option if you're in park/ebrake engaged.
I was thinking about this after start of our discussion. I cannot think of a reason why "Off" would even be an option if you have automatic ones. Even if the sensor gets stuck "On" other than looking like an idiot with your lights on in the middle of the day I can't think of a safety reason why that would be bad. Dusk maybe? If it fails off you can still manually turn them on.

Last edited:

Entz

Its becoming a trend lately where people drive with their lights off, and with snow and dirt covering their rear bumper light reflectors, it can get dangerous pretty quick.

We have a Mazda and their light sensors are stupid, when I enter a tunnel it doesnt turn on until after about 5 seconds (havent actually timed it) which is a long time if you enter a really dark tunnel going +80km/h. Now we got a 2019 and was expecting it has been fixed on newer models but naaah still the same
Yeah. This is normal as mentioned before. I have had several cars with Auto now and they all do this. Its just hysteresis for shadows. If it was uber sensitive every tree you drove under would kick them on then off then on then off and you would essentially be flashing other drivers which has meaning... or should (not that people do it much anymore).

I actually find the Mazda system can be a bit over sensitive lol. I guess it depends on what your doing. We don't have tunnels here.

Latest posts