What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

danmitch1

Alrighty, turns out your extruder motor needs to be installed on something solid.. the bungee cord setup was causing random under extrusions when the filament coil got tight. I fixed it to a solid surface with the same design and it works flawlessly, also no more clicking !
IMG_20200507_174645900.jpgIMG_20200502_170727020-1.jpg

Im currently designing a new controller board box as i wanted to install a larger more quiet fan but im noticing that the psu fan is fkin loud too. Is there anything wrong with installing a larger quieter fan on it as well? (Besides voiding my warranty..already voided!) Im thinking of incorporating one into my design.

Dont cut the blue wire!!
IMG_20200507_174553586.jpg

lowfat

Staff member
That's an uhh very interesting design. 😲

Had blades starting to fall off my Nidec fan on my Prusa. So I installed a new Delta today. Installed a connector to make it easier in the future.
hkaC2Ta.jpg

Swapped the PSU over to a Mean Well. It was only a matter of time before the Chinese one failed due to the fact that my ambient temp is 45C when printing.
A6vYJ7X.jpg

Forgot to disable linear advance for my PETG profile on the Hypercuboid. Thie should be printing pretty damn fast. But its going slow af, listen to the audio and you can see how much linear advance is slowing down for corners.

sswilson

Staff member
That's an impressive looking rig!

Currently printing off some tripod QR plates. I wanted a spare for my main Manfrotto, but also realised that I can now print off one for the relatively heavy duty Velbon I picked up for cheap but didn't have a QR on it so I had to jury rig something up.

edit: Now that I'm thinking of it... I should probably check to see if there are any light stand mounts I could print off... the ones on my cheezy set have never worked right.....

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
So after spending most of my spare time completing some house projects over the last couple of weeks, I got some time to spend in the garage tonight. I designed and cut this corner bracket to attach to my bed. Next up some cam clamps. I made this because most of the things I'm cutting are small and out of straight stock, and 2 cam-style clamps will be a lot quicker to set up than 4 screw downs. Because it's conductive I'm also hoping to turn it into a permanent touch-off plate instead of having to use a separate z-probe.CNC Corner bracket.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... damn.....

Note to self..... don't print any more single layer lines to this bloody print surface!!!!! (Crap is damn near impossible to get off...... :( ).
If you have the same bed i have, ive been setting my initial layer height to 0.28 to make it easier to remove the purge line, skirts and brims.
I may have to look into that. I was able to remove most of the single layer stuff that came about from doing a square level check print job by re-doing the print and letting it continue on for 5 layers. But yeah... brims and/or skirts would still be a problem, although it's adhering so well that I'm wondering if I'd ever need a skirt or brim.
In my short experience, the skirts help get a good flow of plastic running before the actual print, I actually doubled the default line count as it really helps get things started. Im using brims to help hold up extremely thin based parts, but Z hop has really helped that from being an issue, still good insurance against the print head knocking over tall thin models.

Hey!!!! i Finally figured out how the multi-quote system works!!!!! (Select your multi-quote posts and then select the insert quotes at the bottom of the reply box).

Quick revisit to this....

Aside from increasing initial layer height Cura has a "Draft Shield" option in the experimental section that essentially allows you to set a specific height for a skirt. Setting it to 3X layer height should provide enough meat on the lines to make them easy to remove.

danmitch1

Hey!!!! i Finally figured out how the multi-quote system works!!!!! (Select your multi-quote posts and then select the insert quotes at the bottom of the reply box).

Quick revisit to this....

Aside from increasing initial layer height Cura has a "Draft Shield" option in the experimental section that essentially allows you to set a specific height for a skirt. Setting it to 3X layer height should provide enough meat on the lines to make them easy to remove.
Thats cool, "draft shield" though? Is it intended to block a draft?

lowfat

Staff member
It has been 'experimental' since 2016.

It is meant for printing ABS or similar. I find it helps prevent warping of a brim.

sswilson

Staff member
That's an impressive looking rig!

Currently printing off some tripod QR plates. I wanted a spare for my main Manfrotto, but also realised that I can now print off one for the relatively heavy duty Velbon I picked up for cheap but didn't have a QR on it so I had to jury rig something up.

edit: Now that I'm thinking of it... I should probably check to see if there are any light stand mounts I could print off... the ones on my cheezy set have never worked right.....

Really happy with how well the QR plate turned out. First print was a little bit sloppy but when I checked the physical dimensions of the factory plate it was about .5mm larger than the stl file's listed specs. Bumping the print up to 101% resolved that and the second print is nice and snug.

Now I just have to wait 2 - 3 months for the screw(s) to get in from aliexpress... :)

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
And cam clamps! The acrylic sheet is just to show how they work. Now I can clamp workpieces in a manner that it's instantly repeatable. Cut one, put another blank in, cut another without having to find the corner again. Plus these are easy to use for thin plywood or acrylic.

I'd kind of forgotten I had this acrylic, so maybe I can make a dust boot out of it. Or a mount for my laser crosshairs I'm eventually going to put on the spindle. It will project on the table and show exactly where the endmill is above the work area.

Oh, I didn't design these clamps myself. I got the design for $2.92 off Etsy, from Myer's Woodshop. Cam ClampsCam clamps.jpg

Latest posts