What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone know much about the new Barrow block / pump / mini-res combo unit?

JD

Staff member
Technically the pump is upside down, so any air would be "stuck" inside there, preventing the fluid from moving. At the very least, turning it upside down while bleeding would help so the pump (hopefully) is always getting some water.

I think this might be a good case for those "air exhaust" fittings on the 3rd port (fillport) on the block/pump/reservoir. It would allow the trapped air to escape easier I think. I don't think there's a lot of liquid volume to bleed normally.

Entz

Good to know about the RPM @f13dfx . I checked mine (not DOA) and the pump is fine cant test the loop without a CPU though.

Did you rotate the nob so that you are using PWM on your motherboard to control it (supposedly all one direction to 0 does that) or just using that to control the speed?

Yeah could of been air lock.

On a typical SFF install the block/pump will be side ways so it should be easier for any bubbles to escape into the radiator tanks (which is where you want them worst case). but getting out at the start is typically why you tilt your case around to work them out.

Given how small the "res" is on this having on of those is not a bad idea @JD along with maybe using a 3 way on the radiator inlet to allow you to bleed it out from the top.

f13dfx

Did you rotate the nob so that you are using PWM on your motherboard to control it (supposedly all one direction to 0 does that) or just using that to control the speed?

Yes, if you mean all the way anti-clockwise to enable PWM. Although I have since programmed the SYSTEM1 fan header in my BIOS to VOLTAGE @ FULL SPEED as I discovered that if you do a PWM Curve, the DDC Pump does not start at all, maybe because it’s not getting the minimum 12V it needs to get going? I will probably use the manual speed setting & set it at 2000rpm since my loop with the Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 rad is so compact.

f13dfx

Yes, if you mean all the way anti-clockwise to enable PWM. Although I have since programmed the SYSTEM1 fan header in my BIOS to VOLTAGE @ FULL SPEED as I discovered that if you do a PWM Curve, the DDC Pump does not start at all, maybe because it’s not getting the minimum 12V it needs to get going? I will probably use the manual speed setting & set it at 2000rpm since my loop with the Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 rad is so compact.

sswilson

Staff member
Nice, that's a tight fit, but it looks like you got it in there OK. Just to be clear.... you're plugged into a PWM header, but have set it to a fixed RPM of 2K? (A fixed RPM would be my inclination as well).

f13dfx

Nice, that's a tight fit, but it looks like you got it in there OK. Just to be clear.... you're plugged into a PWM header, but have set it to a fixed RPM of 2K? (A fixed RPM would be my inclination as well).
Yes, as I posted earlier, didn’t want to take the chance of the pump not starting if I ran it with a PWM curve. 👍🏼

Izerous

Folding Team
When priming a loop it can help to lower the pump speed to absolute minimum if it supports it. In my case I'll start the priming with only 1 of the 2 pumps powered in my loop since I don't have a speed control hooked up.

But I otherwise agree with what has been said especially since you said flipping it around fixed it. It was ever cavitating or had zero fluid. Either way the noise in both cases is unique and louder than when it is properly moving fluid and fully priming it would have fixed wither situation.

f13dfx

Hello again to all! Well, thought I had everything figured out but still having problems with the pump not turning ON when doing a cold boot after being shutdown overnight. I currently have the PWM fan header (that the pump header is plugged into) set on FULL SPEED & VOLTAGE. I guess my last resort would be to resolder a Yellow 12v & Black Ground lead that I had snipped off to eliminate all the unused wiring coming from my Flex ATX 600W power supply & use the Molex connection for powering the pump.

Any other suggestions or ideas on how to setup the pump connection so it starts up after a cold boot from an overnight shutdown would be much appreciated!

Entz

If your running a fixed RPM why not use the speed dial to set it to that speed and not use your motherboard (other than for speed monitoring). Perhaps there is a ramp or something on the PWM side and the pump cant start.

Just to confirm you are still powering it with molex right? There are not designed to pull power from the motherboard.

Latest posts