What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

FreeKnight

I still game every night. You can probably also find me ranting on the forums here about how bullshit crypto is. I still think its bullshit. Not one proof of concept YET exists of an actual legitimate currency 'replacement' And they're still talking about "crypto 2.0" two years after they said it would be ready. Now they're talking about it again...and saying it'll be out in another 2 years.

But that doesnt mean I'm not going to use my downtime with my GPU not in use to take someones money. I've mined (and cashed out) almost $1000 since Christmas.

The problem isnt mining. Its mining farms like this one, and more directly, the overlap of a product stack.
I've started thinking about this once my RMA'd 2080 Ti comes in. I've avoided crypto because I still think it's a hype train, but if I already have the components for it and power's relatively cheap in AB, might as well make some money off people that are full blown drinking the kool-aid.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I still game every night. You can probably also find me ranting on the forums here about how bullshit crypto is. I still think its bullshit. Not one proof of concept YET exists of an actual legitimate currency 'replacement' And they're still talking about "crypto 2.0" two years after they said it would be ready. Now they're talking about it again...and saying it'll be out in another 2 years.

But that doesnt mean I'm not going to use my downtime with my GPU not in use to take someones money. I've mined (and cashed out) almost $1000 since Christmas.

The problem isnt mining. Its mining farms like this one, and more directly, the overlap of a product stack.

I think one of the real problems too is an income without having to do much actual 'work'. People since time immemorial have been always searching for a way to get the maximum return on the minimal effort. And Mining is a great way to do that.
And of course the greed that goes along with it result in mining rigs like seen above.

-ST

Crypto is a classic 'tulip', Ponzi scheme with bells and whistles. If you mine on your PC, you are part of the problem.

clshades

Yep guess all of us legitimate gamers,,,,enthusiasts and hobbiest that could give a rats ass about "making" equivilant to a Cerb cheque over the course of a few months are now looking at being forced to hang onto our aging GPU's or switch to a fvckin console.......what a joke all this shvt is...sure has put me off....never thought 6 months after release we would be here with no cards available, worse yet likely go on for another ?????
Another few months of this crap and I'll buy bloody scalpers card!
On a good note should be able to sell my 1080Ti's to some miner for $800 each ;)
Your 1080' a are water cooled yes?

mGz

Crypto is a classic 'tulip', Ponzi scheme with bells and whistles. If you mine on your PC, you are part of the problem.

Old man yelling at clouds tale. God forbid people for wanting to generate a little passive-income, amirite?

Crypto is volatile and it'll likely never become regulated as a currency - but it's become a nest-egg for gen-z and millennials alike.. Boomers will still park their liquidity in gold or bonds when the markets crash.

Jokester

rjbarker

Crypto is volatile and it'll likely never become regulated as a currency - but it's become a nest-egg for gen-z and millennials alike.. Boomers will still park their liquidity in gold or bonds when the markets crash.

^^^^ Or cash under their mattress ;)

mGz

Guess what, bud? That changes nothing.

Regarding energy though. It's funny... Everybody talks about solar and wind yet they completely disregard the other (more logical alternative). Once the fear-mongers come to the shocking realization that nuclear energy is still the most logical path for renewable clean energy - the better off we'll be. Slowly that sentiment is changing though. SMR's are the future.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Guess what, bud? That changes nothing.

Regarding energy though. It's funny... Everybody talks about solar and wind yet they completely disregard the other (more logical alternative). Once the fear-mongers come to the shocking realization that nuclear energy is still the most logical path for renewable clean energy - the better off we'll be. Slowly that sentiment is changing though. SMR's are the future.

And there, lies the problem with your statement.
Nuclear is not renewable, there is a finite amount of resources on this planet to use. And regardless of technology, there are many inherent risks, because the largest failure point still operates them. Humans.

Mining is a waste of resources, energy, and time. And it takes away from those whom want to use computer hardware for enjoyment, entertainment, etc.

Anyways, I digress, lets keep this on topic to what it is.

-ST

Latest posts