What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

looking for some enterprise SSD recommendations.

JD

Staff member
How about the Samsung 983 DCT? I was looking at getting those for my QNAP eventually.

Solace

MLC nand some years ago was sufficient to meet enterprise requirements. The only primary difference between what is marketed as enterprise is different thermal throttling curves and cooling and perhaps anti static/shock resistance ratings. The actual writes/TBW is sufficient and most drives will last 3-5 years being hammered on a daily basis. SLC is mega overkill and generally not advisable unless you have exceptional funding to expend. This is coming from someone who dealt with data streams filling 256gb ssds 7 years ago and did anaylsis on failed hardware as to how many writes per day over X years.

The 256gb MLC nand drives were being filled 4x times a day for about 1TB of writes. They were nearing 2x the rated TBW (intel consumer drives, i forgot the model)

Taking that into consideration and the advancements now a days TLC may even yield enough durability to meet enterprise grade requirements. I would still opt for MLC grade if not SLC/E-MLC depending on budget.

TLDR: Consumer grade MLC Nand devices will be sufficent for your needs if 7 year old MLC Nand under intensive loads lasted 3+ years at nearly 2x the rated TBW. Enterprise grade is more marketing if anything now adays, even a threadripper or zen 3 platform could be racked into a 1u chassis at a fraction of the cost supporting (ecc ram is not required for all use cases, including the majority of enterprise) also becoming a standard in ddr5

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
well, today I learned that I should not assume NVMe storage means M.2 slots. turns out this Supermicro boards just calls them NVMe storage and requires a cable with an Oculink (x4) connector on one side with the other being miniSAS that has to connect to very specific ports on the backplane to work with U.2 drives.

very cool stuff! :D

Latest posts