What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Advice needed! High-end monitor for home office

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I have a monitor with 1900mm radius (AW3418) and can honestly say that I didn't notice the curve after the first couple of uses. But a 1000mm Radius is very tight, you'll want to find a similar radius monitor and view it in person.

lowfat

Staff member
Doesn't change the fact that they are prone to burn in. I'd go mini led personally.

If you go OLED make sure your warranty covers burn in. I think Best Buy does. Costco is hit or miss depending on the agent.
3991 hours for the LG C9 on my desk w/ no burn in. And I've played a lot of video games. Like 500 hrs of the same 4X game which has the display almost entirely static. OLED will last a very long time if you don't need it bright af.

crazyea

Ok. That’s great. But it’s still good to disclose it. Especially for windows use where the image is static the majority of the time. It’s a known fault of the tech even if you’re set is still good. My friend got it across his whole screen from playing Forza horizon.

ryetgr

Thanks all for feedback.

What I'm hearing is Cypher is happy with is 49" Samsung for both work and gaming;

OLED by far best for gaming, but caveats for productivity/burn-in,

Many prefer 2 monitors over ultrawides for productivity.

Just out of curiosity, what are some high-end dual monitor combos you would recommend for let's say up to $3Kish?

If we go dual route, I want them to be super impressive

Thanks

Lysrin

Dual is great for productivity of specific types as were mentioned. I'm a coder and I have both ultrawide and dual 32" 1440p setups and there are pros and cons for both. However I wouldn't want a dual set up for gaming, unless you want to game on only one. Having bezels down the middle of your view isn't any good for gaming imo.

With my dual set up I still put one in the centre of my view, as my primary monitor, and then the second next to it but off to the side for additional use. Having the bezel in the middle I find causes me bad ergonomics and neck issues for both monitors even when working and not gaming. Means I am always looking slightly left or right; never just straight ahead.

$3Kish is a pretty decent budget for either nice dual 1440p or ultrawides.

ryetgr

Thanks Lysrin,

I've got my list down to 4 options currently in this order. I have no idea what dual monitor combo would be best? That's why its currently at the bottom of my list.

1. LG 38WN95C-W
2. Samsung Neo Odyssey G9
3. LG CX10 48
4. Dual Monitors of some kind (not sure what models are good)

Any idea which dual monitor combos would be good?

Lysrin

If it doesn't need to be a gaming monitor, as your OP said, any decent matching pair is good. Gaming means higher refresh rates and perhaps FreeSync of GSync tech, both of which increases the price. If you are focused on productivity, 60 Hz is fine imo.

That site that @crazyea mentioned is great resource.

Dell has some nice monitor options that have the office/business look you might be after. The 32" 2560x1440 monitors that a lot of our team at work (even the younger folks with fresher eyes than mine) have found they prefer for our work; coding, spreadsheets, doc creation, etc. 32" 4K still tends to be too small for readability for most people, meaning you run into DPI scaling requirements, and then if that's the case, why bother with 4K in the first place? You can also run into issues with user interfaces not scaling well on 4K so that can be an issue avoided by sticking with 1440p. If you want 4K, I'd recommend larger, say 43", then you might be back to one of those rather than two monitors... sorry bit of a circle there! ;) Two 43" monitors would take a lot of desk space!

Here are a couple examples just to give you an idea. Other brands with similar specs are available. You can research those and use the rtings site for more info.
Dell 32" 1440p
Dell 43" 4K

Herne

Personally i prefer to work on 2 monitors over an ultra wide. I prefer the anchoring options and separation of focus. I can set reference material etc on one monitor keeping it separate from active work etc. Your workflow and tasks play a big roll in that though. A lot of video editing/sound creation and an untrawide allows for nicer timeline usage etc.
Yeah- I tend to keep one in portrait for documents.