What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

everything is about to get more expensive...

Shadowarez

Folding Team
up here they had a program to get workers from Philippines to work tim hortons for 6 months at a time. that has been canceled far as i know.

GeezerGamer

The rich should pay their share!

sswilson

Staff member
is Ireland still @pples tax haven or has that been patched?
Supposedly they said they're going to change. So no.

Yeah, Ireland only agreed to sign on once there were guarantees in place WRT the fixed minimum (15% ? ) not being raised in the future, and that getting to the agreed upon level could be phased in over several years.

edit: As far as "things getting more expensive" goes.... Seems like I got lucky in that my pension's indexing kicks in in April. (CoL retroactively indexed back to 2008)

Last edited:

Izerous

Folding Team
up here they had a program to get workers from Philippines to work tim hortons for 6 months at a time. that has been canceled far as i know.
It sounds like there were some pretty big abuses with that program. I heard more than once a whole location worth of employees would get forced to shared a single house by the location owner. Rumor/Fact I have no clue but there is a remote Tim Hortons I end up hitting semi-frequently simply so I have have a fresh hot drink on my way home driving hours on the highway... this weekend was the first time in countless years where the person operating the drive through wasn't from the Phillippines.

FreeKnight

It sounds like there were some pretty big abuses with that program. I heard more than once a whole location worth of employees would get forced to shared a single house by the location owner. Rumor/Fact I have no clue but there is a remote Tim Hortons I end up hitting semi-frequently simply so I have have a fresh hot drink on my way home driving hours on the highway... this weekend was the first time in countless years where the person operating the drive through wasn't from the Phillippines.
The TFW has been ripe with abuse and 'legal but ethically wrong' aspects for years. Passports being retained by employers, employees being required to rent property from the employer, etc. Alberta's generally been the worst culprit for it

Our illustrious Alberta Premier was a big proponent of the TFW program when he was in Cabinet as Minister of Employment. He even championed a program where you could pay a TFW 85% of the minimum wage, instead of having to pay at least minimum wage, 'to help Canadians'. Fortunately that was axed after major public outrcry.

Latest posts