What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Where are all the OLED gaming monitors?

draemn

With so many OLED monitors (TVs) now on the market, does anyone know why computer monitors have been so slow to adopt the technology?

Izerous

Folding Team
I recall watching a video about how bad screen burn in for a monitor can still be. The anti-burn measures... burn the screens out earlier if you use them more. Things like start buttons etc are still too static on a monitor where on a TV they have things purposely move around to prevent that etc.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
In addition to what @Izerous mentions, I believe the other benefits are contrast & power savings. Not really a factor for desktops. Contrast helps, but the burn in factor remains. Imagine using an OLED for a production (excel) style use!

lowfat

Staff member
LG will have a 42" OLED TV next year. They also released a 32" OLED this year. However it is meant as a reference display for color grading. It ain't cheap.

As long as you can fit a 2nd display for web browsing, etc. Burn in isn't an issue. I put 3000 hours on my C9 before upgrading to a C1. Zero burn in.

Last edited:

Vittra

Important to note the panel in the 32" OLED "Pro" Monitor that LG is selling is actually manufactured by JOLED using their printing process. JOLED was formed by Japan Display/Sony/Panasonic quite some time ago.

There are rumours Samsung will be making a 34" QD-OLED monitor for 2022.

Herne

In addition to what @Izerous mentions, I believe the other benefits are contrast & power savings. Not really a factor for desktops. Contrast helps, but the burn in factor remains. Imagine using an OLED for a production (excel) style use!
I freaking love it, but I change tasks a lot. 50% of my day is flipping between .docx and .xlxs and the C1 48 has been magic for that. So much real estate to have things open and visible.

lowfat

Staff member
I freaking love it, but I change tasks a lot. 50% of my day is flipping between .docx and .xlxs and the C1 48 has been magic for that. So much real estate to have things open and visible.
Is there a dark mode for excel? I can't imagine having such a bright white is good for the pixel life.

Are you using ColorControl to control the TV via software / keyboard shortcuts?

Herne

Is there a dark mode for excel? I can't imagine having such a bright white is good for the pixel life.

Are you using ColorControl to control the TV via software / keyboard shortcuts?
It actually has a mode where it drops the white level a little too quick for my liking but haven't played with that. With the amount of window switching I'm hoping that should really help.

draemn

This piece seemed to have some good points that might be why we are seeing so much in the TV space but not for monitors.

Latest posts