What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

1.65v ram on sandy bridge

BurningAce705

Hi,I was wondering if ruining my Kingston 8 gb ram kit (1.65v cl9) Will cause any issues with my pentium g870.I have heard that ram kits over 1.5v are bad for sandy bridge,and I was wondering if I will void my warranty by using the ram at 1.65 volts,or if it is in my best interest to run them at 1.5v?
Thanks,

supaflyx3

It should be fine to run it at 1.65, you can always try running it at 1.5 and running memtest to see if its stable.

IRQ Conflict

As far as I know exceeding the spec (speed/voltage) the manufacturer set will void the warranty unless specified by the manufacturer that it's OK to do so.

BurningAce705

Well I tested thwm at 1333 cl9@ 1.5v,and they were fine.I'm going to keep them this way as to not void my warranty.Also,I was only runing them at 1.65 volts for 3 weeks or so,and they were hardly being used during that time.But I cant imagine I have done any damage to the cpu during such a short period of time.

botat29

Over volting your ram shouldn't effect the CPU at all. Probably shorten the life of the ram though.

wrong, over volting the ram can damage the CPU ; with SB the memory controller is build in the CPU. Anyway the OP want to under volts not over.

BurningAce705

I contacted Intel support and they said it was fine that the ram was over volted , because it has an XMP profile.Provided I continue to run the kit a 1.5v I will get my full Processor warranty.