What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

10+ channel fan controller

The Great Gazoo

So, I have 10 fans in my 800D case. I'm currently running them daisy chained into the 4 channels my mobo has. I'm looking ahead to my next rebuild where I will also have a very large case so I can water cool again. So, I am looking for a PWM fan controller that can handle at least 10 fans and maybe up to 12 when I get my next case (likely 1000D). I'd like to be able to control each fan on CPU temps so a UI of some sort is needed rather than just buttons or dials.

Any suggestions for me?

supaflyx3

Use the commander pro that comes with the case & a second one giving you a total of 12 controllable fans

Bartacus

I spent $20 on a used 6 channel fan controller, 30W per channel, if you don't mind a 5.25 bay device. Combine that with 3-to-1 splitters, and I run 3 fans per channel. Another option, IF you have PWM fans, is to get a few SATA-powered PWM hubs. I have a few of those, they run 8 fans each and cost less than $20, but can't be daisy chained. But you could run one hub off your CPU header and another off the CPU_OPT header, and control up to 16 fans with PWM.

rjbarker

I spent $20 on a used 6 channel fan controller, 30W per channel, if you don't mind a 5.25 bay device. Combine that with 3-to-1 splitters, and I run 3 fans per channel. Another option, IF you have PWM fans, is to get a few SATA-powered PWM hubs. I have a few of those, they run 8 fans each and cost less than $20, but can't be daisy chained. But you could run one hub off your CPU header and another off the CPU_OPT header, and control up to 16 fans with PWM.
cannel

Yeah I agree.....been running 16 Fans in my Custom Loop (900D) off a Lamptron 4 Channel 50W / Channel Controller for 5 yrs......I really like controlling my Fans manually (not relying on Software).....a few splitters and 4 Fans per Channel.....

....The only thing plugged into any of my MOBO Headers is my pump....and a couple of RGB's....

dustin1706

Do you need independent control of each fan? If not, or if you're good with control of groups of fans, you can:

-Use a couple of powered fan splitters like the Swiftech 8-way PWM splitter.
-Use a couple of passive splitters to distribute the load between 3-4 Mobo fan headers. Your mobo may or may not allow for independent control of each header. (# headers required depends on the amp draw of your fans and rating of your headers).
-Use a couple of passive splitters, but provide the power from a fan controller to take that load off of your mobo.

I researched these types of products a ton before building my current dual loop system in January and went with a bit more of an extreme route. 18 fans split into 5 zones (2x case, GPU rads - only 2x fans spinning at idle, GPU rads - remaining 6x fans at load, CPU rads - only 2x fans spinning at idle, CPU rads - remaining 6x fans at load) and 2x D5 pumps and wanted independent control of all 7 "groups" to optimize performance/noise. I ended up going with an Aquaero 6LT + Aquaero Quadro + passive splitters and it works great! There's no kill like overkill.

The Great Gazoo

I do want individual control of each fan rather than groups which is what have now just through the mobo. Looks like I will be going with 2 Commander Pro's unless something else comes along before I start accumulating parts. I've had problems with Corsair Cue in the past as it was causing my system to crash. But that was several versions back and I've since updated, BIOS, etc. I wish there was a big fan/RGB controller out there that would also be Asus Aura compatible as I would be all over that for RGB control.

Twitter