What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

$100 To Whoever Fixes My Computer

JoeOnePack

Banned
Alright. Long story short.

I decided to paint the IO shield and IO panel to match the rest of my build and accidentally used Krylon instead of Plastidip as I've seen others do. I masked off the area to what I thought would be perfect, but upon further inspection I got some paint on the motherboard itself. I'm pretty sure I fried it.

The computer boots into BIOS fine and will attempt the first Windows screen as seen in this video, but freezes and sends me to launch repair. The board is throwing almost every code in the book. Here is a video of what happens when I start the computer.

P1020269_zps5e766bdb.mp4 Video by LaZeD | Photobucket

For the love of god. If you can fix my computer I will give you a crisp $100 bill. Otherwise I'm buying a replacement. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

94BllL6l.jpg

z4sQ7YTl.jpg

jzIxXIel.jpg

JD

Staff member
Are you sure it's not just your HDD/SSD/Windows? Can you boot up a Live Linux distro (like Ubuntu)?

G

The codes showing is normal during POST, I am with JD, is the bios set for ACHI?

enaberif

I'm looking at that picture and I notice you don't even HAVE your backplate in place which isn't a good thing. Second paint wouldn't stop a system from booting.

Sounds like something is broken or not seated properly.

Arinoth

Staff member
That was my thought too, sounds like maybe you are on IDE when you should be on AHCI or vice versa.

Shadowmeph

Like what others already have said above paint shouldn't stop system from booting into windows .
you Probably bumped a sata cable or something like that check to see that everything is plugged in .

zoob

Press F8 before Windows loads and disable automatic restart - show us the BSOD it gets stuck on.
I'm guessing Unmountable boot volume, so get a spare HDD and try a fresh install.

CyseroTheMage

I sorta doubt I'll help at all but this is what I did.
This happened to me just recently when I tried installing new hardware, it would just hang, even after the
new hardware was removed. I got the
exact same board as you, clr cmos didn't help me either.

When starting up, just after the BIOS splashscreen mash
F8 > Last Known Good Configuration.

As others have said, check to see if AHCI is enabled.

draemn

I'd throw my weight at saying you haven't messed up the mobo by painting it. Not certain what messed it up, but if you can get into BIOS just fine and get it to start loading windows (as you show), then your problem is something to do with the drive windows is installed on. I've had my windows install corrupted a few times on my ASUS board from just changing parts around. Pretty pissy that I've never had this problem with any gigabyte boards I've owned but yet this ASUS one has done it to me 3x in 3 months.

If changing your BIOS settings doesn't fix your problem, get your install disk and boot from that and try running the tools to repair/diagnose.

MAC

Associate Review Editor
Krylon is basically just dye for plastic, so I don't think that it is conductive.

Now assuming setting the SATA ports to AHCI doesn't work, are you 100% sure that you are using the same port that you used when installing the operating system?

For example, if you were originally using one of the four red SATA slots on the left - those labelled SATA6G_E1 to SATA6G_E4 - and have now plugged your drive into one of the two red SATA ports next to the black ports, you will have problems since you were originally using the ASMedia SATA controller and are now trying to use the onboard Intel SATA controller...which you can't do without basically reinstalling Windows.

Last edited:

Latest posts