What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

11900KF is a HEATER!

Solace

I think people overestimate watercoolers these days. I recall a steve video doing a comparison of modern air coolers vs AIO's of which some cases the DH15 outperforms a 240mm water cooler. Perhaps just poor design but I believe air coolers just caught up on design. So the whole OMG thats on water is really not that drastic of a difference these days vs a good air cooled setup. If I'm wrong here someone prove me with some links given I bought a D15s myself for the next build given the lack of perf difference vs price, sound (no pump) and ease of replacement being fans only.

These new generations of chips have so little headroom to OC its not even worth the time and effort for most people. Let alone the heat/power consumption in most cases for overclocking is so far from the reward. I missed the days of the e8400, q6600 and 2700k where the gains lasted generations with a simple 50$ aircooler.

magiwizard

I think people overestimate watercoolers these days. I recall a steve video doing a comparison of modern air coolers vs AIO's of which some cases the DH15 outperforms a 240mm water cooler. Perhaps just poor design but I believe air coolers just caught up on design. So the whole OMG thats on water is really not that drastic of a difference these days vs a good air cooled setup. If I'm wrong here someone prove me with some links given I bought a D15s myself for the next build given the lack of perf difference vs price, sound (no pump) and ease of replacement being fans only.

These new generations of chips have so little headroom to OC its not even worth the time and effort for most people. Let alone the heat/power consumption in most cases for overclocking is so far from the reward. I missed the days of the e8400, q6600 and 2700k where the gains lasted generations with a simple 50$ aircooler.

Depends on open vs closed. I can tell you for a fact that an open loop with an optimus block performs significantly better than the close loop systems (~8c better than a 360 closed loop system I had previously).

Solace

Depends on open vs closed. I can tell you for a fact that an open loop with an optimus block performs significantly better than the close loop systems (~8c better than a 360 closed loop system I had previously).
Would not argue that one bit, as I mentioned design is probably the cause and I was referring to AIO coolers that cost nearly the same if not more than the D15. I'm sure there are solutions out there which have decent gains but at what cost:perf ratio is the question. A good air cooler runs about 100$ these days and cheap after market like evo212 is 50ish.

rjbarker

It all depends on what you interprate decent OC headroom.....vs those older Chips sure, but remember some of the older Chips (E8400 up to say 3930K) would have headroom to OC all cores up to 500 Mhz beyond spec.....or more in some cases (my old 3930K was 3.8 Ghz standard Boost and I had all the cores running at 4.6 - 4.7 Ghz......but that was a Hexa Core...cant remember what my Wolfsdale ran at....I believe it may have been the first Chip I got to 4 Ghz (but honestly cant remember, I think it was also only a Duo Core Chip.
Now fast forward to 9900K - 10900K and now 11900K.....whereby were OC'ing "all cores" (including HT turned on) to 5 Ghz to 5.1Ghz (9900K 8c/16t) or a 10900K all cores to 5.1 Ghz.
I'll be curious to see what Rocket Lake brings to the table, soulds interedting as possibly 8c/16t to 5.3 Ghz, which is pretty incredible really.

As for cooling with air ? Imo, none of these Chips warrant Air if your planning on OC'ing.
Temps have been a non issue for many of us running either Custom Loops or more robust AIO's.
I actually just re-built my old 3930K system w the RIVE Board and threw a Corsair H60 "cheaper" AIO on it and was pleasantly surprised with its cooling capability (think I paid $75 for it new a few yrs ago), set up in a push/pull config, old rig, 16G DDR3 Domintor 1866 RAM and 560Ti SLi....hilarious playing around running some benchmarks with it!

Bond007

Would not argue that one bit, as I mentioned design is probably the cause and I was referring to AIO coolers that cost nearly the same if not more than the D15. I'm sure there are solutions out there which have decent gains but at what cost:perf ratio is the question. A good air cooler runs about 100$ these days and cheap after market like evo212 is 50ish.

It all depends on what you interprate decent OC headroom.....vs those older Chips sure, but remember some of the older Chips (E8400 up to say 3930K) would have headroom to OC all cores up to 500 Mhz beyond spec.....or more in some cases (my old 3930K was 3.8 Ghz standard Boost and I had all the cores running at 4.6 - 4.7 Ghz......but that was a Hexa Core...cant remember what my Wolfsdale ran at....I believe it may have been the first Chip I got to 4 Ghz (but honestly cant remember, I think it was also only a Duo Core Chip.
Now fast forward to 9900K - 10900K and now 11900K.....whereby were OC'ing "all cores" (including HT turned on) to 5 Ghz to 5.1Ghz (9900K 8c/16t) or a 10900K all cores to 5.1 Ghz.
I'll be curious to see what Rocket Lake brings to the table, soulds interedting as possibly 8c/16t to 5.3 Ghz, which is pretty incredible really.

As for cooling with air ? Imo, none of these Chips warrant Air if your planning on OC'ing.
Temps have been a non issue for many of us running either Custom Loops or more robust AIO's.
I actually just re-built my old 3930K system w the RIVE Board and threw a Corsair H60 "cheaper" AIO on it and was pleasantly surprised with its cooling capability (think I paid $75 for it new a few yrs ago), set up in a push/pull config, old rig, 16G DDR3 Domintor 1866 RAM and 560Ti SLi....hilarious playing around running some benchmarks with it!
While a bit off topic, I will add that there is a lot of personal opinion and preference in the cooler world.

Personal opinion is 120-140AIO should only be used if you can’t fit anything else (air is generally better/$ here). 240+ AIO can be great if you don’t get a cheap/random one. While quality AIO have a low likely hood of failure, air is still more reliable. A high quality air cooler will be outperformed by a high performing AIO. If those few degrees is worth the added cost and increase in possible failure is the thing that everyone debates.

very thorough test and a pretty solid conclusion here:

mGz

Scouring CC and MemEX daily for sku's. I hope we'll get a price confirmation soon.

rjbarker

The other thing to consider (me anyhow) is the available space to fit these massive air coolers with fans.......I find it so much easier to work in the case with an AIO....can never see myself going back to an air cooled machine.
Obviously when strictly looking at cost the Air Cooler is the better choice, but there are other variables to consider ( space in your case and the amount you intend to OC being the two big ones).
Was surprised to here how loud those fans are on the 560Ti's when ramping up running stability tests.
As for failures of AIO's, I had a few prior to going Custom Loops and never experienced a "failure".
Dont miss that at all, there will always be a niche for Air...AIO's and Custom Loops.

Last edited:

mGz

I contacted the manager at MemEX about an ETA and they still don't have any concrete date. *insert surprised pikachu*

mGz

Took a gander on the intel sub and this was at the top.

pi9fpbqeitj61.png

US MSRP of course but it's something at least.