What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

12 volt only power supplies - the future of PSUs? - ATX12VO

JD

Staff member
I think ATX overall is due for an overhaul, both the motherboard size/design/layout and the power supply, cases, etc. There's a lot of "legacy" aspects of it that really don't align to current and future needs.

As much as I don't like Apple, their Mac Pro designs have always been pretty stunning to look at internally. Perhaps some of these ideas could form a more standardized layout.

Ultimately, it looks like server technology is coming to consumers/desktops. I believe the concept of 12V only power exists in servers today. Same for the modular aspects of Intel's NUC Element concept.

Izerous

Take apart a couple iMacs and you will curse their hardware designs. Absolutely stupid some of the things they do to purposely make it near impossible to work on. I don't want them setting standards with designs like that.

DrakeFrst

Take apart a couple iMacs and you will curse their hardware designs. Absolutely stupid some of the things they do to purposely make it near impossible to work on. I don't want them setting standards with designs like that.
Agree, I don't see anything good in it as it is now and have no idea why people are so excited, to be honest. I can definitely see this change being implemented in a wide range of PSUs, but it is at least a good few years away and has to undergo significant changes for it to be any better than current +3.3/+5/+12 V implementation

Bartacus

100% agreeing with @Izerous.
There are multiple things that don't use 12v and never will, so every motherboard will need DC to DC conversion? No thanks.

If everyone's only real complaint about the current standards is the connector size, why not just make a more streamlined connector instead? It's not much of an issue though, and easy enough to build around in 99% of cases, so I don't really get that arguement.

This just sounds like a bad idea in general, and reeks of a another NUC -type of situation where Intel wants to create a new market segment where it has the sole monopoly. So nope, not getting my support, at all..
Agreed completely. This is a silly idea. I get the need / want to modernize and drop old standards, but this isn't the way to get that done. Especially with Intel's involvement.

Latest posts

Twitter