What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

$1500 Gaming Biuld

Bubbzilla

So I'm trying to build a new rig. It is to be an all around powerful machine that will run any game pretty well as well as good for AutoCAD and Solidworks and that kind of stuff. My budget is just over $1500 CAD for the tower alone. I want to try to make it as silent as possible and eliminate fans where I can. I've been kinda out of the loop on the latest tech but I've put together a preemptive list,

• EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Fermi 850MHZ 2048MB Superclocked $209.99
  • ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX LGA2011 $325.30
  • INTEL Quad-core i7 3820 LGA2011 3.6GHz 10MB $294.95
  • Dominator GT 16GB DDR3 2133MHz CL9 Quad Channel Kit (4 x 4GB) $231.99
  • Silverstone Strider 850 Plus 850W Modular Power Supply $132.66
  • NZXT Whisper Classic Quiet PC Case $94.95*Plus $65.12 shipping
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1 TB 3.5" $112.06
  • Noctua H-D14 CPU Cooler SE2011 $84.99

Total is $1552.01

Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

BigPhatPaulie

The ram isnt needed. You can get a 16gb kit from corsair even , or gskill etc that will be half that price. Otherwise looks good to me :thumb:

Dzzope

The weak link in that machine is the GPU.. my suggestion would be to get a 3770K or 2600k and put the savings into a better GPU

OR

Like said above save on the ram (you'll see no difference)
Also the cooler is expensive.. CM 212 is a solid and much cheaper choice and should get you to 4.5 GHZ with ease.
And the sabertooth is an enthusiast board.. which you don't really need (even if your ocing)
Gigabyte X79-UD3 is 229(MIR) this week in ncix or ASUS P9X79 is 259

If you pinch the right places you could probably squeeze enough budget for one of the new 670's, which are due in the next week or so..

dandelioneater

As previously noted, Z68 or Z77 would be a better choice for a gaming build with just 1 video card.
Look at getting the 3570K/Z77 board, a 7950 or 670, an ssd, H80 cooler, and you will have nice clean build that will last a while.

Also: 850W psu is overkill for single cpu and single gpu, get a ~600W or so unit.

Bubbzilla

Ok, I agree on the RAM,

Would SSD really add that much performance for the price?

I tried to lean away from gigabyte cause they havn't released there A lineup
If I did go Gigabyte, I would probably wait a bit in which case I would also wait for the 660

I don't really intend to overclock just because I don't have too much experience and I have my previous rig for that.

As for the cooling, my plan was to take the two fans from the Noctua heat sink (which are $45 by themselves) and swap them for the case fans then just let the heat sink be passive

My previous rig I SLI'd three years later and I will probably do the same for this one which is why I picked 850W, although that still may be overkill if I get GTX 6XX (I've heard they're pretty good on power?)

Dzzope

You can very easily OC the new chips.. and from a 3.4 GHZ to 4.5GHZ without much effort it's well worth your while to oc them

SSD's, I have one and I wish I spent the money on a second gpu (or sold my current and gotten a 680) but I did get a 120 gb Corsair performance Pro (no Trim support) as it was the best at the time (but expensive)
A cheaper one may be worth it but to be honest load times didn't bother me so much but I needed to live with one for comparison.. Knowing what I do now, I'd upgrade my GPU first..

I wouldn't go passive on the CPU and that case is already designed to be silent but has 2 120mm and 2 80mm fans already.. I think you could leave it as is and have a good airflow and quiet machine.

Rasparthe

If you primary reason for the rig is gaming then you should be spending much more on the GPU. I would stay away from the Socket 2011 also, only necessary if you are getting 3+ GPUs. Gaming is not CPU intensive, a good quad core is all you need. You probably could get away with even a AMD quad, but I would recommend a 2500k, or the new Ivy bridge 3570K if you want to get all crazy and for the AutoCAD type work. Keep the RAM down to 8GB and you really don't need anything crazy, you will not see the performance gains by buy spending $150 more on high end RAM. A nice little boot SSD for the OS and which ever game that is current, 60GB or 128GB, and a storage drive for everything else. I don't mind the 850W PSU, since I like have more than less in that department. Whatever you save with these recommendations, put into GPU. If you can get up to a $500 GTX 680 you won't be disappointed.

Adzsask

560 is not a very strong GPU for gaming, for $200 you can get a brand new EVGA GTX480 and it is probably stronger then SLI 560's.

supaflyx3

No, SLI'd 560s would smoke a 480. But like OP has stated waiting for the rest of the 6** series would be a good idea.

Latest posts