What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

1608 unable to create installdriver instance

Mayoo

Trying to install GPUTweak2 that ... for some reason, disappeared like CAM+.

Getting the error "1608 unable to create installdriver instance". I understand it is related to InstallShield. All my attempts failed to fix it, sfc, unreg/regserver, etc. Anyone can help out?

That's a fresh install of Win10 we're dealing with. Getting sick of this sh*t.

sswilson

Staff member
I don't have a specific fix, but I suspect from the message that it's probably related to something windows sees as an unsigned driver. If that's the case, I believe MS is moving in a direction that's not going to make you happy in that they're planning on doing everything in their power to prevent unsigned drivers from being installed.

Have you tried this?......

turn off driver signature enforcment for w10 - Microsoft Community

edit: NVM.... I see I'm completely off base, and assume that you've tried these steps???

Install Shield 1608 Unable to create install driver instance - Microsoft Community

Since it seems to involve installshield I still suspect it's probably related to windows not seeing it as a signed driver.

Last edited:

LordLiverpool

MOD EDIT: While this doesn't appear malicious at first/second glance, and actually may contain useful information (I havnt tested it, and I wouldnt if you want my advice) this account is a first time poster on a 4 year old necro. Use this advise at your own risk.

I just had this problem recently, and found the solution, which wasn't included in any of the solutions I've found on the interweb. I'll post it on the very slim chance that it helps somebody.

It was connected with the installation of an old version of InstallShield (7), and somehow the registration of the IsProBE.tlb type library got deleted. Installing every version of the InstallScript engine I could get my hands on did nothing to help. Reinstalling IS7 would probably have fixed it, but in a catch-22 situation, I couldn't reinstall it until I fixed the 1608 error. I'll post the chunk of registry settings that I put together from an old installation and that resolved the problem. The GUID is going to vary according to which version of InstallShield you're using, so search for some Interface entries by name (e.g. ISetupRegistry4) - it's unlikely you'll be missing all of them - and see what the typelib GUID is. It needs to match in the TypeLib and Interface entries.

Don't mess too much with the registry unless you know what you're doing.

Change the file extension to .reg before executing - but be careful.

Attachments

• RepairInstallshieldTypelibEntries.txt
    104.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts