What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

17" Laptop, $1500 CAD budget

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
So my oldest son's girlfriend is looking for a desktop replacement type laptop. It will be used for some graphic design and photo editing, and finishing her university degree. She's insisting on a 17" screen, understanding that she's giving up some portability.

Light gaming if at all. Suggestions for a $1500 plus tax budget?

Dwayne

I bought the wife an MSI "gaming laptop" a couple of years ago. I have not looked at recent offerings, but the MSI brand has been solid for us. Easy to install an m.2 into, and no problems with daily use.

sswilson

Staff member
Any chance you could nudge her into the idea of grabbing a "15 and using the price differential to buy a stand-alone monitor for her main work desk? 17" really limits options especially when it comes to finding bang-for-buck sales.

I'm liking the Lenovo Y540 17".

Not sure how long that price will last but the lenovos were reasonably well reviewed a couple of years ago when I bought my dell. Intel seems to be the choice for image manipulation... would upgrading to the ti make a difference in that aspect?

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Rakuten has 10% off today for Lenovo. Also; the 15.6 'customized' option adds Win10 for free, and the 2060 upgrade is only $80 if desired. It could definitely help with graphic design going to the 2060.

Biggest downside to this laptop is the base screen is only 250 nits...which makes @sswilson having an excellent point. You might want to add a keyboard/mouse, and just use the laptop as a 'desktop'. You can get even larger than 17" that way if desired.

Sale at Lenovo on their Y25f Legion. Use MONITOREXTRA5 for some more $ off, on top of the Rakuten previously mentioned should put this monitor to just about 225. (It is TN panel though...)

Asus TUF 24". $250 IPS @ Bestbuy

Acer Nitro XZ272 27". $300 VA @ Costco.

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I totally get what you are saying, I had the same thoughts myself. But I will leave it up to my son to point this stuff out to her. I'll put the bug in his ear, he can pass it on.

Latest posts