What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

1st laptop - ASUS vs SONY

Which laptop maker is best ?

• ASUS

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • SONY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HP

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Toshiba

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

magnosis

[solved] ASUS K72JK

Thank you all for the advice.

The warranty, and overall great feedback & reviews of ASUS notebooks are convincing.

Besides, I've always used ASUS motherboards for my PCs and I can vouch for their impeccable customer service.

So I went and bought the K72JK, for under 1000$ :punk:

I still wonder if I should have spent a little extra and get the N71, for the benefits of having a 2nd hard-drive bay.

miggs78

I believe reading in the reviews that the N71's second hard drive bay lacks a SATA port, so even though you have the port, you can't hook it up to the mobo.. It could be a different model, maybe it was the N71, might wanna check.

I know you usually have to look at the gpu/cpu because those are things that can't be changed, but the N71's gpu would tempt me to go for it, especially if Optimum is available, that's saves some battery life..

technix

Banned
Asus laptops seldom have an eSATA port. Also, it is rare it would have BOTH an eSATA AND LED screen. I've only noticed $2000 gaming machines having such configuration. Imho, Asus laptops are way overrated and way more expensive for what you get.

I'd take a serious look at Toshiba and Samsung laptops before I'd ever consider an overrated Asus. Asus has good marketing, though.

magnosis

@miggs78: not the first person to report that. I could never find if it was that the 2nd Bay didn't have a connector, of it was the Motherboard that lacked a second port. If it's just a matter of opening the case and adding a SATA cable, it wouldn't be that bad.

technix

Banned
I found two Asus laptops I like... a bit epensive... $$$$!!!! However, I like the specs although it won't win any battery life awards.

Newegg.ca - ASUS G Series G51JX-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M

and

Newegg.ca - ASUS N71JQ-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

This one isn't bad?:
Newegg.ca - ASUS N73JN-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i5 450M(2.40GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M

I might want a laptop with better battery life though whenever I get around to buying a new one.

I like MSI, Samsung and Toshiba laptops generally for the price/features you get. I guess some of those Asus laptops are also good.... it's just that I prefer a feature set including a decent cpu (that can do virtualization) and LED screen/16:9 or 1600x900 for screens 16" and over with an eSATA port if possible. I guess that's not a dealbreaker, the last feature request but for $1000+ laptops, I thought it should have it.

Those are the four brands I'd compare models with and trying to find the features/price I prefer. The only question mark is whether to go more with battery life or power.

Latest posts

Twitter