What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

1st new build in a lot of years,several questions

Jim

Fed up with being a console peasant (tired of lag on PSN) planning to build a PC that runs Battlefield 1 at nothing less than 60 frames per second max settings,4k on a single monitor.I have on hand a case ,750 watt Corsair,some drives(HDD ,DVD) and an operating system (win 7 ) peripherals ( g502 & belkin n52 so good to go) what make and model of parts should I get? Considering one or two rx480 possibly ? I'm in Canada and plan to overclock,build time is by October when BF1 releases,it's only use is gaming.thanks for the reply's,price range is what ever it takes, don't require bling or led's....etc

gpu (s) ?

cpu ?

motherboard ?

ram ?

cooling ?

monitor ? (unsure of res)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Are you planning on purchasing a monitor as well, or do you already know what res you want this to push?

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
I'll let others chime in here, but you probably should set some kind of price range for the monitor before going any further... that's going to greatly affect how much grunt you need, and can range from $300ish to over $1K for units that aren't beyond the norm these days.

MARSTG

If you have a look at Newegg's classification 4k means 4k2k. What resolution are you thinking of?

Mastabutts

For 4k monitors, you could try the Acer b286hk. Its been as low as $388 at Canada Computers. I hated the osd and the video cables it ships with are garbage, but its an "okay" entry level 4k monitor, and it has a nice stand and is fully vesa compatible. Other than that, you're looking at an asus PB287Q or a Samsung 590d if you're trying to stay under the $700 mark.

As far as GPU, the rx 480 wouldn't be powerful enough to run BF1 at 4k at 60fps minimum. I might be wrong here, but judging from the benchmarks of Mirrors Edge and Star Wars Battlefront -games which both use the same engine as the upcoming Bf1- as of right now there is no commercially available video card that'll put up those kinds of numbers, not even the recently released gtx 1080. Sure there's always sli/crossfire, but support for dual gpus isn't perfect across the board, and obviously that would represent a fair chunk of cash.

Jim

For 4k monitors, you could try the Acer b286hk. Its been as low as $388 at Canada Computers. I hated the osd and the video cables it ships with are garbage, but its an "okay" entry level 4k monitor, and it has a nice stand and is fully vesa compatible. Other than that, you're looking at an asus PB287Q or a Samsung 590d if you're trying to stay under the $700 mark.

As far as GPU, the rx 480 wouldn't be powerful enough to run BF1 at 4k at 60fps minimum. I might be wrong here, but judging from the benchmarks of Mirrors Edge and Star Wars Battlefront -games which both use the same engine as the upcoming Bf1- as of right now there is no commercially available video card that'll put up those kinds of numbers, not even the recently released gtx 1080. Sure there's always sli/crossfire, but support for dual gpus isn't perfect across the board, and obviously that would represent a fair chunk of cash.
Thanks! Mastabutts thats just the clarification I need,evidently I'm reaching a bit to far,time for a rest of the goals,the target date is middle October,guess we'll see what develops on the tech front in the mean time,thanks again

Mastabutts

Thanks! Mastabutts thats just the clarification I need,evidently I'm reaching a bit to far,time for a rest of the goals,the target date is middle October,guess we'll see what develops on the tech front in the mean time,thanks again
I hear you on that. I recently jumped onto the 4k bandwagon with a deal I got on a halfway decent monitor, and I'm surprised that there aren't any cards out there that can consistently run current gen games in exactly the range you're looking for. I'm sure we'll see a 1080ti or similar card within the next year (or maybe longer, depending on whether or not AMD steps up to table with something stronger than the 480) but the idea of waiting that long... is a bit balls. 4k is wonderful and all that, but it looks like the tech world just isn't ready for it quite yet.

Latest posts

Twitter