What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

2.84 GHZ on Q9450

CTA

;[

not very impressive... but i am not sure whats wrong...

recent i have absolutely free time so i decide to fix some hardware problems, install some softwares then try to OC my computer...

I also update BIOS from 1306 to 1406 so i can use "optimized" CPU Margin Enhancement option

i did read some posts and use tzetsin's suggestion ( i use OCCT to test the computer for 10 minutes then gain some numbers...)

CPU Ratio Setting: 8
FSB Frequency : 356
PCIE Frequency: 100
FSB Strap to North Bridge: 333
DDR2 Frequency 1135mhz << estimate as i remember
CAS# Latency: 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay : 4
Row Refresh Cycle Time: 60
Write Recovery Time: 6
Read to Precharge Time: 4
READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): 10
Write to Read Delay (S): 4
WRITE to READ Delay (D): 5
READ to READ Delay (S): 6
READ to READ Delay (D): 6
WRITE to WRITE Delay (S): 5
WRITE to WRITE Delay (D): 6
WRITE to PRE Delay:14
READ to PRE Delay: 6
PRE to PRE Delay: 1
ALL PRE to ACT Delay: 6
ALL PRE to REF Delay: 6
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
DRAM Read Training: Auto
MEM. OC Charger: Auto
AI Clock Twister: Lighter
AI Transaction Booster: Manual
Common Performance Level: 8
Pull-In of CHA PH1: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH2: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH3: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH4: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH1: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH2: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH3: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH4: DISABLED

CPU Voltage: 1.3625V
DRAM Voltage: 2.0V

i also disable all options except "execute disable bit" in CPU Setting option..

when after 351 fsb with stock memory setup at 1.24xx then i cant gain anything until i change memory setup ( OCed it)

maybe i did something wrong?

and i heard that use 333 mhz to get 1:1 cpu to memory ratio but i see 10:16 ( or maybe 16:10)

MpG

Probably your RAM frequency. Even good modules like yours start to get tetchy beyond 1100MHz. Whether you're at the 333 or the 400 strap, you should have some other options for slower RAM frequencies. Select a lower frequency so you can raise the FSB further.

tzetsin

changing the frequency of the fsb overclocks your "entire" system, from your CPU to your ram, to your pci, pcie slots. So to combat the overclocking process causing lesser parts to fail sooner than the cpu would fail, the mobo manufactures put in place options to unlink the parts of the mobo that typically fail first, (#1 is your ram) so by unlinking your ram, and running it at a lower speed, you'll be able to continue overclocking your CPU via the fsb. There may be "some" performance loss on your ram while running unlinked, but the performance gained by the cpu could be enough to make the small performance loss worth while.

now when i say performance loss, i dont mean like "ooo my pc is running so sloooow" performance loss, the kind of performance loss while running unlinked would really only be noticed during memory benchmark tests.

tzetsin

ah, well, if theres any way to change the ramspeed without affecting the cpu speed, use it

MpG

Yes, your RAM speed does increase with your FSB. But there are different ratios available. For instance, at 400FSB, and 400 strap, I have the choice of running my memory at either 800MHz or 1066Mhz, which corresponds to either a 1:1 or a 4:5 ratio.

It's possible that your P45 BIOS is different from my X38, but my Asus board doesn't actually list the ratios, only the resulting memory frequencies. At 351fsb, you should have the option running your memory at around 700Mhz.

Xilikon

"FSB Strap to North Bridge:" is the one to play (or set to AUTO) so you can get the memory timings as close as stock. 1135 is sometime pushing the sticks a lot and you need to either up the voltage or loosen the timings.

when overclocking, don't try to push everything up. Do one thing at a time (first determine max FSB, then max RAM speed then CPU speed with a good mix).

BrainEater

when overclocking, don't try to push everything up. Do one thing at a time (first determine max FSB, then max RAM speed then CPU speed with a good mix).

QFT.

I managed to get my q9450 to 3.36 Ghz by adjusting only 1 thing.The FSB.

When I bumped the FSB to 420 Mhz from 333 Mhz , the fsb:Dram ratio automatically changed from 5:6 to 1:1

See Here.

:thumb: