What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

2 machines, 2 monitors, 1 keyboard and mouse?

chibi_man

Ok, I plan on running 2 machines with there own monitors side by side. However I would like to avoid 2 keyboards and 2 mouses. Well the simple solution would be a switch and all is good.

I have an idea which would be VERY cool, but I am not sure if it's possible yet.

I want to be able to use 1 keyboard and mouse for both machines without a switch, so I can actually just drag my mouse cursor from one desktop right to the other. It would probably involve one KICK ass program to link my computers through a network, or I would have to some how some way link my monitors and keyboard/mouse to one unit... I like the software idea better...

Any thoughts.

qwerty

Why not just have two monitors? I guess you are doing some pretty intensive work...

That sounds cool though, it would have to be some nice software to be able to treat two separate machines as though they share a big desktop...must e something out there, developers have all sorts of cool toys.

Good luck I'll keep my eyes open, I read incessantly.

chibi_man

Why not just have two monitors? I guess you are doing some pretty intensive work...

That sounds cool though, it would have to be some nice software to be able to treat two separate machines as though they share a big desktop...must e something out there, developers have all sorts of cool toys.

Good luck I'll keep my eyes open, I read incessantly.

I am talking about having 2 monitors... just 1 set of keyboard and mouse with out the switch.

enaberif

Ok, I plan on running 2 machines with there own monitors side by side. However I would like to avoid 2 keyboards and 2 mouses. Well the simple solution would be a switch and all is good.

I have an idea which would be VERY cool, but I am not sure if it's possible yet.

I want to be able to use 1 keyboard and mouse for both machines without a switch, so I can actually just drag my mouse cursor from one desktop right to the other. It would probably involve one KICK ass program to link my computers through a network, or I would have to some how some way link my monitors and keyboard/mouse to one unit... I like the software idea better...

Any thoughts.

Just buy a kvm and use it to switch between the two monitors.

You won't be able to use two machines with two monitors with 1 keyboard and mouse without a switch of some sort.

enaberif

KVM's are nice, but not what I'm looking for... figure if theres a network based software it COULD work.

No matter how you look at it you are going to need to have a switch because you can't use 1 keyboard and mouse on two computers at the same time as it produce a mirror effect on the both of them. A switch would intervene that you would use to switch between computer one and computer two which is what a kvm does but based on 1 monitor per kvm.

Belkin OmniView SOHO Dual-Video 2-Port KVM Switch - F1DH102U

this may work for what you want.

chibi_man

think of how ATI has there software. If there was a way to tell it there is a mouse and keyboard on another networked computer and for it to use that when it comes on to it's monitor... This is when i wish I was a programmer

Latest posts