What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

2 of 3 pci ports stop boot up

NoKlu

I have an older HP desktop that has 3 PCI ports and only one works. I tried to add a PCI to cardbus adapter so I can use an aircard for internet and it will work in only one port. The problem is it is next to my video card in the pci express port and it blocks the airflow and over heats my card. The card is almost touching the fan. When I plug it in to any of the other 2 ports the computer won't boot. Everything goes fine till the windows screen comes up,at half brightness,then it locks up. I tried to boot in safe mode but it gets to the screen that prints the whole page,I don't know what it's called, then it locks up just like in the windows boot. The only way I can get it to work is to hold the power button till the pc shuts down then remove the card. In the first port all is good,pnp picks it up,installs the card and it works as it should. Does anybody have any Idea why the other 2 wont work?

enaberif

I have an older HP desktop that has 3 PCI ports and only one works. I tried to add a PCI to cardbus adapter so I can use an aircard for internet and it will work in only one port. The problem is it is next to my video card in the pci express port and it blocks the airflow and over heats my card. The card is almost touching the fan. When I plug it in to any of the other 2 ports the computer won't boot. Everything goes fine till the windows screen comes up,at half brightness,then it locks up. I tried to boot in safe mode but it gets to the screen that prints the whole page,I don't know what it's called, then it locks up just like in the windows boot. The only way I can get it to work is to hold the power button till the pc shuts down then remove the card. In the first port all is good,pnp picks it up,installs the card and it works as it should. Does anybody have any Idea why the other 2 wont work?

Sounds like a IRQ conflict with the vga adapter.

Probably can't do much.

NoKlu

The GTX 260 I just opened up 3 hours ago won't fit on my motherboard, now the cardbus won't work without wrecking the 6600gt card I have :censored:. I can do something about it. I7 920, P6T, 6 gigs ram ,Solid state drive,850 watts and windows 7 all stuffed in a Coolermaster Storm Scout. Addios Hewlett Peckerd.:clap: Thanks for your help.