What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

2017.September .HEDTvs XEON.

BrainEater

Quick nod to 486 , I copied your title a bit because this is where I am at.I didn't want to crap up your thread.
-----
They say Septemberish for the 7920x and above skylake-x 12 core+ chips.
sooooo.....

I'm curious what everyone thinks about a 12 core skylake-x V.S. 2x 6 core skylake-sp's .
I do realize the specs are not yet out for the skylake-x stuff.

I also know that 2x xeons gives me 88 pcie lanes etc...

---

From a motherboard/ram/cpu standpoint , what do you think is better ?

:thumb:

D

Dark Knight

I think you should include Threadripper as a potential choice as well. It's going to be released in early August and offers 16c/32t on a 4049 pin lga socket (aka x399 chipset).

What is the intended use of the workstation? If it is gaming/general use - no real reason to go above 8 cores/16 threads. By the time general software and games will start benefiting from 10+ cores, the current HEDT or XEONs are going to be badly outdated. Even now, the only reason to go above 4 cores is heavy multiplayer games with some other app running in background. Myself, I intend to get 8 cores at 3.6GHz as going higher decreases the max freq and performance. 12-core Intel HEDTis going to have freqs close to 12-core XEONs, no miracle is expected there, since it is HCC part. Only LCC parts do higher freqs.

As for XEONs, well, I have two dual socket 8-core servers in the rack, just in case if I need heavy lifting. I find it the best combo, lower core-count higher freq desktop and higher core-count lower freq server(s).