What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

2080 or 2080S with current prices?

LegendMask

With not so much sales going on as two months ago, which of the two do you recommend I should get? $820 for 2080 and $930 for 2080s

Considering Im water cooling it, Im not paying attention to which model has better air cooling. I'm just after the cheapest model available as long as it is compatible with the GPU block I got.

EDIT: With this spec sheet the 2080Ti keeps looking like a very great candidate if I can manage to find one on sale for $1,300 or less...

PS:Now Im starting to see why my wife hates me when Im shopping for PC parts

https _blogs-images.forbes.com_antonyleather_files_2019_07_specs-3.png

Last edited:

Cptn Vortex

I would be leaning towards a 2070S if budget is a concern, since you could probably OC on water and get close to 2080S performance. 2080/2080S is not quite worth it ATM in terms of FPS per dollar. If you have the coin, go all out with 2080ti, however I'd assume Q2 this year we'll see a new top end card.

lowfat

Staff member
Nvidia's GTC is 5 weeks away. Personally I'd wait as there are rumours they'll announce Ampere. Also rumours are saying that AMD may announce big Navi on March 5.

LegendMask

@Cptn Vortex Yaiks, I haven’t mentioned on my original post, is that FPS is not my main concern, as much as CUDA cores, since I’m gonna be using rendering softwares (not professionally) more than gaming.

@lowfat even if it gets announced I doubt it would be released anytime soon, I might be on the wrong boat, but I kinda stopped waiting on new releases unless it is within a month or two, and just stuck on holding a purchase if I know a sale is around the corner

LegendMask

Yup the jump of CUDA cores from 2080s to 2080Ti is huge almost 42% more, while from 2070s to 2080/2080s is 15%/20%

Bond007

What is your current GPU

I agree with LegendMask. Unless you get a great sale, I would go 2070S or 2080Ti.

Also, I do expect the next gen to be a notable improvement with the drop in manufacturing node if you can wait it out.

Bond007

Also, not sure what resolution you are at, but there isn't a huge difference in the %

relative-performance_2560-1440.png

JD

Staff member
Yeah, depends what you have today and what you "cannot do".

I think this is probably the worst time of the year to buy a GPU, but we can say that almost all the time. I'm generally of the mindset to buy at launch or not at all, at least that's how I was for my GTX 690, GTX 980Ti and GTX 1080Ti. I threw caution to the wind though and bought my RTX 2080Ti back in September, though only because Amazon had an apparent pricing error. I had planned to skip it...

Everything seems to point to new GPUs this late summer/early fall, so unless it's a necessary upgrade, it might be best to hold off another ~8 months.

Latest posts