What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

2560x1440 with 7850 2GB... shouldn't be a problem... but I'm having problems

bigFOIG

Using an Asus 7850 2Gb with my Achieva Shimian 2560x1440 monitor. All drivers are updated (mind you I am using beta AMD drivers but I don't feel like this would be the problem).

Youtube videos at 1080p are choppy as hell and not even close to being watchable. 720p is better but still really choppy. And I feel like even the 480p videos could be smoother.

Re-watched Finding Nemo with my GF (in preparation of Finding Dory of course...) at 1080p with my computer and the movie would have stretches of super lag every few minutes.

I have not tried playing any games yet. I know I won't be able to game with this video card at this resolution. Only need smooth HD playback.

IIRC, I used a much weaking nVidia card with this monitor before and the 1080p youtube videos were only a tiny bit choppy. What am I missing here?

Bond007

Out of curiosity did you try dropping the output resolution going to the monitor to 1080p and then watch the same video?

bigFOIG

I'm having a feeling that this has something to do with flash.... I mean, turning down the system res down to 1080p didn't make a difference. I've tried both firefox and chrome.

sa seba

Have you tried to play a flash based video with hardware acceleration disabled? This would circumvent any issues that flash might have with your 7850.

bigFOIG

Hardware acceleration disabled makes no difference. I feel a bit silly not posting up my full specs though. I'm using a temporary rig right now until Haswell comes out.

Asus P5B
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4GB DDR2 RAM
Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Surely the E8400 wouldn't be a problem would it?

bigFOIG

Well... it's youtube... It's a flash media player?

If you're wondering what I used to watch my movie, it was VLC Media Player, but I didn't really have too many problems with that.

Latest posts