What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

2x AMD Epyc 7742 Smash 4x Intel 8180M

moocow

Anyone working on server side chime in on how contract works for CPU? Are you tied in with the provider until your equipment is phased out? I can't imagine Intel not drop prices to retain customers. At this point, AMD got way more performance for 10% more power consumption.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Anyone working on server side chime in on how contract works for CPU? Are you tied in with the provider until your equipment is phased out? I can't imagine Intel not drop prices to retain customers. At this point, AMD got way more performance for 10% more power consumption.
not to mention the CPU's are 25% the cost of Intel's.

Entz

It is nice to see them get crushed. It makes AMD an insane value. .

Most people are tied into a single vendor for various reason. Lenovo/Dell/HP/NetApp etc and there are discounts to be had and each company will have the CPU they prefer to shill. You may or may not lease. However as a Dept you are going to stick with a single company due to software stacks (i.e. Dell OpenManage) which make your life easier. Your not gonna plop in a few off brand Epyc machines and manage them manually to save money, its not worth the hassle.

The big gains are going to come with the big firms give you Epyc machines and you get to choose. Kinda like laptops.

As amazing as this is at 25% of the cost, the servers are honestly a drop in the bucket compared to software license cost. So there is where your mileage may vary massively. If your paying per socket AMD wins, if your paying in another way (per server, per user, per core) its all over the place and likely doesn't matter. 50k isn't a lot when you looking at a million dollars worth of software on it.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
yeah, it's gonna take a lot for AMD to shoehorn into established business...but for new deployment, they should make an impact.

I've run into a similar issue with business notebooks and desktops. AMD has the value and performance proposition, but there are issues for the security platform and it's management, so they're not being used by larger companies. SMB it's a shoe-in.

supaflyx3

Equipment is generally kept until the service contract is up, unless we're talking like double the performance it doesn't make sense financially for enterprise hardware to be switched out halfway through its cycle. That being said a lot of big names are switching the epyc around Q4/Q1 2020