What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

2x Quad channel kits possible issues?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Hey guys looking into 2 4x16gb kits same speed same batch was wondering what the possible issues of running these in Quad channel 128gb.

Board will be the Asus Sage x299 with a 10989xe CPU.

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Yeah but it'd be 2 4x16 kits both Quad channel. Looking at really good prices on these. It'll be 8x16gb DDR4 3200 mhz

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Hoping it's odd a 128gb 8x16gb kit is like $1200+ for same kits I'm looking at the 2 64gb kits come in under $900 same speed.

JD

Staff member
I don't think they need to be identical lot numbers as you still have a channel A and B. Just make sure you buy quad channel (4x16GB) kits at the same frequency/timings/voltages.

Intel still seems to be a lot less fussy about RAM anyhow

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Yeah figured I'd end 2019 with a nice 128 git setup for my server since in doing some ramdisk testing with a few apps iv developed. Wanted to really see if I could utilize that extra speed.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
oh i know i had a duel socket amd server 256gb ecc ram was seeing longer the normal boot up turns out one of the 16gb sticks had developed errors and it took a good 20-30 mins to get into windows and it was hanging often, pulled out all sticks till found the bad one. worked flawlessly till i moved it to a new case then it died. still got the memory and cpu's,