What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

sswilson

Staff member
^^^^ I read the entire String on Evga Forum, including the official announcement by Evga posted by Jacob (Evga)......from what I read it was only early release Cards (POSCAPS vs MLCC) that Reviewers had in there hands that were affected......and that all Retail released Cards problem was addressed...... was I missing more ?

I don't think all of the third party manufacturers have been quite as open or have clarified that the issues were limited to early run cards. I strongly suspect a good portion of the retail cards that went out have this issue. If that's the case, the only option is replacing the cards, or a firmware fix that nerfs them.

rjbarker

^^^^ Fromt what I understood reading the Threads on the Evga Forum....FTW3 Ultra delayed to launch due to correcting problem? And Asus Strix / Tuf Cards are ok? The Evga Thread is ok but tricky weading thru all the Evga Fanboyism to find the actual facts....

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, it looks like the higher end cards are mostly OK as are the NVidia cards. Jay had a "Colorful?" branded one that they had shipped to him but they reached out to him to let him know about the problem before he had a chance to test it and asked him to wait until they shipped him one of the new boards.

lowfat

Staff member
Colorful is a Asia brand only. You've probably seen their cards before. They release MASSIVE overkill cards. Like 3-4 slot monsters. I think the first time I remember seeing one of their cards was this beast of a GTX 460. Honestly wish they had a NA presence.

sswilson

Staff member
Colorful is a Asia brand only. You've probably seen their cards before. They release MASSIVE overkill cards. Like 3-4 slot monsters. I think the first time I remember seeing one of their cards was this beast of a GTX 460. Honestly wish they had a NA presence.

Yeah, this one had a physical OC button on the back that I can only assume switched to a higher clocking profile.

Dwayne

I don't think all of the third party manufacturers have been quite as open or have clarified that the issues were limited to early run cards. I strongly suspect a good portion of the retail cards that went out have this issue. If that's the case, the only option is replacing the cards, or a firmware fix that nerfs them.

I suspect the problem is that to produce a good OC out of the factory companies cannot cheap out on good power filtering and delivery. I imagine that they were able to use "value" capacitors before, but this time around the GPU is more demanding. I also wonder if there is more than just this, as I bet there are a lot of people who thought they could get away from using older, or under spec, PSUs. There could still be driver issues, lots of variables, and it has only been a week.

As for the "nerfing" of the cards, if the OC is beyond NVidia factory spec, then all they will be doing is bringing the card back into specifications. I would be pissed to buy a factory OC, for a premium, and have them drag the clocks back to a lower spec though. But the AIBs are on the hook to figure this out and fix it. And it is up to NVidia to help them figure it out, as they provided the specifications, and if they were too lax, they need to take some responsibility for that.

I am not sure there has ever been a launch of a PC product that has been 100% clean, and I don't expect to see one, ever. Too many people, too many configurations, too many people willing to flood forums with stories to muddy up the facts. (And I am sure this isn't limited to one "team" or another). This will get fixed, like every problem found during a launch has been fixed in the past.

ipaine

I am also thinking that drivers might not be helping. I had upgraded my drivers to the 456.38 ones and have had multiple driver crashes since and this is on my 1080ti setup. Cleared those out with DDU and so far have been good since.

So who knows, I kind of suspect it is a bit of any of these, bad drivers, not much lead time to QC the AiB cards, and the power issues.

JD

Staff member
I had upgraded my drivers to the 456.38 ones and have had multiple driver crashes since and this is on my 1080ti setup.
While under load/gaming or just at idle? My PC has been randomly rebooting when idle and usually when I'm not nearby (obviously). Nothing notable in the event logs to tell me why though.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I haven't upgraded to the 456 line due to a LOT of reports of poor performance. I think it was divinity 2 was getting 10fps with these drivers, for example.

I could very well see it being a driver issue, at minimum, exasperating the issue.

JD

Staff member
I think in my case it might be from September's Windows update, early days still, but I switched on Release Preview last night so I'm on 20H2 now (refreshed start menu looks nice!) and it hasn't randomly rebooted yet.