What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

ipaine

While under load/gaming or just at idle? My PC has been randomly rebooting when idle and usually when I'm not nearby (obviously). Nothing notable in the event logs to tell me why though.
Idle mostly. Not even stressing the machine or anything like that. And I know it is the graphics driver, cause I could hear the fans on the cards ramp up and I would lose video but I could still use RDP (uses its own driver) from my surface to go into my machine and close things and properly reboot.
I'm running 2004 update and until that driver everything had been perfectly stable.

JD

Staff member
Different then since mine have been hard reboots, but maybe it's a combo of 2004/456.83...

Dwayne

Paul's Hardware runs through his 4 3080 cards to see when they crash. None crash at stock, all crash when pushed in overclocking. The cards are the FE, Asus TUF OC, Gigabyte Gaming OC, and the Zotac Trinity stock non-oc. The Gigabyte Gaming OC uses 6 SP-CAPs and no mlcc, same for the Zotac I believe. He used release driver 456.38 and played Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 4k for his testing, not the built in bench mark.

The PC world is filled with people, some very knowledgeable, and some not so much. The variability out there means that some of the problems will be user induced, and some will be actual hardware. The problem is we just don't know the split. It is encouraging to see that none of the reviewers seemed to have problems with any of their cards running stock, out of the box. We know they test beds they use are clean installs with minimum software installed, and they have beefy PSUs too. They are not replacing a 4 year old 1080 on a Windows 10 install that has been through numerous updates with who know how many programs running in the background. Chances are people don't run DDU if they have an NVidia card installed, just plop in the replacement. Could that be a problem? Who know, but I wonder how many problems would be fixed with a wipe and clean install of Windows?

lowfat

Staff member
Well @dave343 has issues w/ his card @ stock boosting clocks. Plus 3080s are only supported in the newest driver set so you'd have to install newest drivers in order for the cards to work. As for a clean install w/ a new card? Man I haven't done that since XP in like 2006.

I don't think every single card is going to have issues but it is pretty obvious a bunch are. Obviously the people who have issues are going to be a lot louder than the people who don't. I'm sure there are a bunch of people out there w/ their 3080s working perfectly fine.

I've seen reviews w/ the Gigabyte Eagle which has 6 POSCAPs boost to only 1850MHz and another that did 2GHz no problem.

I'm willing to bet we will see either drivers w/ a much less aggressive boost or vendors will release a vbios that does the same.

dave343

My MSI Trio only crashed the one time, RDR2 froze and artifacted... not a great feeling heh... but I've played hours since without issue. A few things to note though, my Trio has NOT hit 2GHz... at least I haven't seen it hit 2GHz using Afterburner. In RDR2 it seems to stay around 1905MHz, with small bounces up to 1955ish, and at very rare times to 1995mhz but again that's few and far between. The card isn't going past 73c, and bounces between 65-70ish while in RDR2.

This issue seems to happen with the *Nvidia Boost once NV decides it has TDP and Thermal head room, and then attempts to clock higher.

Everyone is getting upset, but truthfully, we were never promised 2ghz, let alone even 1900mhz. If anyone is at fault, it's Nvidia for dialing in too aggressive boost speeds, without taking into consderation that the AIB's might not all have the same power delivery that can sustain +2ghz clocks.
You are promised whatever speed was advertised by your AIB as boost... (In my case with the MSI Trio 1815Mhz) after that Nvidia takes over and tries to push things further. Nvidia isn't telling it's boost algorithm what caps your specific card has for it's power delivery. If it has thermal and TDP head room, it'll keep pushing higher.

as lowfat mentioned, we'll probably see a fix via drivers or fw from your AIB.

Last edited:

Dwayne

My MSI Trio only crashed the one time, RDR2 froze and artifacted... not a great feeling heh... but I've played hours since without issue. A few things to note though, my Trio has NOT hit 2GHz... at least I haven't seen it hit 2GHz using Afterburner. In RDR2 it seems to stay around 1905MHz, with small bounces up to 1955ish, and at very rare times to 1995mhz but again that's few and far between. The card isn't going past 73c, and bounces between 65-70ish while in RDR2.

This issue seems to happen with the *Nvidia Boost once NV decides it has TDP and Thermal head room, and then attempts to clock higher.

Everyone is getting upset, but truthfully, we were never promised 2ghz, let alone even 1900mhz. If anyone is at fault, it's Nvidia for dialing in too aggressive boost speeds, without taking into consderation that the AIB's might not all have the same power delivery that can sustain +2ghz clocks.
You are promised whatever speed was advertised by your AIB as boost... (In my case with the MSI Trio 1815Mhz) after that Nvidia takes over and tries to push things further. Nvidia isn't telling it's boost algorithm what caps your specific card has for it's power delivery. If it has thermal and TDP head room, it'll keep pushing higher.

as lowfat mentioned, we'll probably see a fix via drivers or fw from your AIB.

Thanks for the info. The boost may be too aggressive, as you point out. Glad to hear your problem seemed to be a one off too. I am sure that things will shake out. It might be hardware, still, or drivers. Not like that has never happened to a launch.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Heard there will be a vbios to fix boost tables on these maybe it's a good thing to wait on the revised versions they will eventually release

clshades

Isn't the obvious question, does this card even need boost or overclocking to have a great experience? It's a beast of a card at stock. So why bother?

lowfat

Staff member
Isn't the obvious question, does this card even need boost or overclocking to have a great experience? It's a beast of a card at stock. So why bother?
There is no reviews of it at 'stock' frequencies. That would be 1440MHz, which will be a massive difference.

Dwayne

There is no reviews of it at 'stock' frequencies. That would be 1440MHz, which will be a massive difference.

I believe the term is "base" frequency, and "boost". So, of course all the reviews are at "base", out of the box, frequencies without applying a manual overclock. How the card acts without user intervention is what we are after here, and all the reviewers offer there reviews using that configuration because that is going to be the typical user experience. I don't imagine more than 10% of the user base even cares what the clock speeds are, just how does it work when I turn it on.