What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I don't think a driver can affect the boost table on the card. I could be wrong, but to make the changes it would have to be a firmware update, no? Boost 3.0 was implements back with the 1000 series cards, and perhaps they just need to tweak it for the new architecture.

Grain of salt, but this guy states it did;

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/j1ccfq/_/g6yq8bk
Windows has frameworks for updating firmware on a device. So it would be possible to initiate that via a driver update. It really depends on how they implemented it. If its in the BIOS then likely not, if its elsewhere then in theory they could update.

Certainly possible some registers only NVidia knows about can control this as well. It would be useful for testing/binning to have it software based and not be required to constantly flash.

If a company updated a bios without telling me, it would be the last time I ever bought from them. Are they gonna remove the 'lol you bricked it you dummy' RMA clause if so?

I dont even let windows auto-update software ffs.

rjbarker

Thanks Dwayne...Sagath and Mr Wilson for all the info...so hard to screen thru the crap on the Evga Forum.....handnt been over on there in awhile .....now I know why.....the amount of "mis truths" based on fanboyism and "he said she said" really has amped up.....Im still leaning towards the Evga FTW3 Ultra...but not in a "panick hurry" at all....I'm happy to sit back and see how all the sku's perform, wait for my WB to be available etc.
Also looking forward to see how ipaine makes out when he gets his Card.
Seems as though a number of folks that couldnt get there mitts on a 3080 Card are more than happy to purchase a 3090 Card if they can...seems kind of crazy thinking really.....a number of posts justifying 3090 on 1440p and "must have 24G of RAM for gaming" as "so mnay titles maxing out my 11G RAM " etc etc....

ipaine

lol, I know I have barely posted over there either until just recently again.

And yea the number of people going I must buy something and since i couldn't get a 3080 I'll spend twice as much for 10% more. I don't get it. Look sure if I al of a sudden came into a ton of cash and didn't have to think about tossing 1k out the window then sure I would get a 3090, but for anyone that actually values their money it should be a complete no go. Well aside from people actually using it as a workstation card.

I sure do hope I hear soon about the card though. Then again, as long as I have it before Cyperpunk hits I think I will be good. And the longer it takes the longer before my 90 day step-up period would expire, you know just incase I decide to go for a hybrid or ti version.

rjbarker

lol, I know I have barely posted over there either until just recently again.

And yea the number of people going I must buy something and since i couldn't get a 3080 I'll spend twice as much for 10% more. I don't get it. Look sure if I al of a sudden came into a ton of cash and didn't have to think about tossing 1k out the window then sure I would get a 3090, but for anyone that actually values their money it should be a complete no go. Well aside from people actually using it as a workstation card.

I sure do hope I hear soon about the card though. Then again, as long as I have it before Cyperpunk hits I think I will be good. And the longer it takes the longer before my 90 day step-up period would expire, you know just incase I decide to go for a hybrid or ti version.

I know ....crazy isnt it..."Have to have 24G VRAM"......what surprises me is the number of folks purchasing the 3090 with only 1440p monitors.....
Sure see the diiference in thinking when you slide over here to HWC, everyone here isnt swayed by hype, level headed thinkers that like decent HW!!

Yep ...once I see the EK Site has an FTW3 Block available for pre-purchase I'll likely pre-order the same card you have at Memex and Pre-order the water block at the same time.....then sit back and see when they arrive......I'm so darn busy right now with work and house projects no biggie if its a few months.....
My Loop is 2 yrs this Nov (hasnt been drained and flushed), so its defintely due, I have a bnib EK Vector (Nickel) CPU Block with RGB so looking forward to installing that as well, I'll throw an EK Nickel backplate on the 3080, should look pretty sharp!!

lowfat

Staff member
Der8auer replaced 2 of the POSCAPS w/ MLCC and it did basically nothing. So really don't seem there is a hardware issue here. Cards just are boosting higher than their capabilities.

Dwayne

Der8auer replaced 2 of the POSCAPS w/ MLCC and it did basically nothing. So really don't seem there is a hardware issue here. Cards just are boosting higher than their capabilities.

I wouldn't say it did nothing. It actually extended the stable OC by around 30 MHz. As he said in the video, the GPUs are pushing close to the limit now and people should not expect to be getting hundreds of MHz in over clocks. Still, a 70 MHz OC isn't terrible, and getting it to 100 MHz is still an improvement. He was working with a 3090, and as we know the larger the core, the lower the clocks.

So one can expect that cards with the 6 SP-CAPS will be limited in frequency, and a mix of SP-CAPS and MLCC looks like the optimum. But, with the driver update lowering the boost 3 table at the highest end, a card with 6 SP-CAPS is still a fine, if some what, pedestrian card.

TTC

Our local Canada Computers has a back order list over 100 long. On top of that they only got two cards on launch.

Dwayne

Only found one site that has tested the driver update, Tom's Hardware. They tested 3080s and 3090s, clock speed, temps, fan speeds, and power.

You can read the whole thing, if you like, but here is one of the findings.

" That doesn't mean performance didn't change at all. We did run a full suite of tests on the Gigabyte RTX 3090 card, on both 456.38 and 456.55 drivers. The result: Margin of error differences. Technically, the 456.55 drivers are 0.2-0.5% slower overall, but they're slightly faster in a few games as well, and we're not going to argue about a less than 1% difference. "

Dwayne

In the Tom's Hardware forum on the story I posted, I found a link to another write up testing the new drivers. PC World has an EVGA FTW card with the 6 SP-CAPs that was sent to them pre-production. They had a crashing issue on Horizon Zero Dawn at 1440p. Now, EVGA has said that the configuration of caps will change on the FTW card, but they tested again anyway. TLDR; the driver fixed the crash they had.