What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

Soultribunal

Staff member
According to UPS the "Preparation Fees" are free if you use one of the shipping services listed at this link. https://www.ups.com/ca/en/shipping/zones-and-rates/customs-clearance.page

The $10 was a bond fee, but I thought I could avoid that if I paid the taxes to them before it reached CBSA. It even states on the page " To avoid bond fees, call 1-800-PICK-UPS and ask about our Prepayment or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) plans." Well I tried that, but it didn't work out.

As I said, not a huge fee to pay, but it did look avoidable.

Most of the time to expedite packages across the border the Customs Paperwork is sent ahead of the package arriving at the port of entry (I do it all the time) so that might be likely why you couldn't get to it in time. The potentially had the paperwork before the product even transitioned through.

-ST

FreeKnight

Any video card is a good value if you can buy it @ MSRP right now.
Meh, I'd argue it's still a bad value even if you get it at MRSP. The only way I'd argue otherwise is if it turns out to be vastly easier to get a 3080Ti at MRSP rather than a 3080 at MRSP. I'm going to assume that won't be the case and they'll both still be nigh unobtainable. Even if the 3080Ti has better availability I'd still say it's a rip off and people should hold out for a 3080. $600 more for the Ti at best buy for the Founder's edition which means you're paying somehwere around 80-100$ for each percent improvement over the 3080 (variable by game/application of course).

Of course, it's all very much YRMV and 'different strokes for different folks', but I'm definitely on the 'awful value' side of the fence in the argument.

Dwayne

The Hybrid 3080 it almost too tall (from PCIe slot to side glass) for my Lian Li O11 Dynamic! I could have used 3 hands to get the side glass on as it is bumping up against the power cables. Other than that, it is time to mess about with thermals, fan speeds, and some benches.

Prelim out of the box Time Spy 16404 - Graphics score 18260 5800X CPU score 10409.
Port Royal 11930
Time Spy Extreme 8335 Graphics 9200 CPU 5440
DirectX Ray Tracing 48.16 fps.

Temps seem good, have not gone over 60C. No really stress testing yet though.

With my fan settings on my CPU Cooler and GPU I cannot hear any pump noises from either. Just hear fans, and they are not loud but I do notice them. Once I start playing something though they don't intrude as they are set to fixed speeds, so no ramping up and down noises.

Overall, the EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid is huge! Time will tell how good it is though.

sswilson

Staff member

Would something like that work to relieve some of the strain on the power cables? Doesn't have to be that specific aliexpress unit.... there are several different models out there (I had a quick look at the EVGA Powerlink, but that's solving the wrong problem as it puts the connectors on the back, but protrudes significantly above the top of the card).

Dwayne

That might work if they were longer. Distance from the card to the glass is about an inch, maybe. Without opening it up all I can do is eyeball the distances. Pretty tight!

20210610_161815.jpg

rjbarker

To test my 3080 FTW3 on air before switching to Water Block I wanted to simply pull out a 1080Ti out of an old Coolermaster Case./ build (one of my older rigs I recycled to a family member).....the 3080 "barely fit" and I still have to pull some SATA cables away to get it in there and plugged in......they are huge Cards indeed!!!!
The size of the Water Block vs my EK 1080Ti WB put it in perspective!!!!!