What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

Dwayne

This is linked in the Twitter side panel here already, but thought I would put it in the thread as that will disappear from there with future tweets.

Interesting read I thought. Nice to see NVIDIA admit at least that they underestimated and weren't prepared... unless they were and this was just another way to increase anticipation and demand...? Conspiracy conspiracy :p

In my mind companies want to sell product. If they don't have products available people will go elsewhere.

As the leaks come out before the launch of a product I can see how companies want to keep the information in house as much as possible too. The problem is the balancing act between getting your chips out to your board partners, and those board partners leaking like sieves all the time. So, to minimize leaks NVidia keeps the info to themselves as long as possible. If they could trust board partners not to have leaks the AIBs could be producing cards months before a launch, but from my understanding they only get the info and chips they need about a month before launch. Not enough time to crank out 100s of thousands of card.

Because of this info leak problem I don't think that AMD is close to production on their cards. The info leaks on "Big Navi" have all been from "inside" sources, and their has been little benchmark slip ups, yet. Perhaps next month, as we get closer to their announcement will we see the usual websites mining leaked benchmarks.

Anyway, the tech media has been asking the right questions on availability, and the companies all seem to be indicating that thousands of units will be forthcoming, as one would expect now that all the information is public and they don't have to try and keep a lid on leaks.

Entz

Pretty much, the AMD leaks are they are doing ASIC quality validation at this point so not even in full production. Still deciding on clock speeds. I wouldn't expect partners to even get parts before the first part of October for a November "launch" (few days before the consoles to keep the promise)

If you look at what is going around, Zotac which is like the red haired step child of high end GPU brands, had 20,000 orders on Amazon! I can't imagine what the demands is like for ASUS, EVGA etc. Thousands of 3080s from EVGA is a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:

rjbarker

Oh Im sure we will see Stock on all fronts climb in the 6 weeks or so...as the hype winds down.....I dont tihnk I've ever purchased a Card right at release.....usually 6 wks to 3 months after and its never been a problem for stock then...the benefit is you get to see all the "quirks" (2080Ti comes to mind)......and EK will have the Blocks available........

belgolas

I often bought close to release because often times retailers would raise the price over time depending on availability and competition. If AMD brings out something competitive we could see Nvidia do a price cut but I doubt AMD will compete in the high end. They haven't in a long time.

rjbarker

^^^ Good point, yes sometime the price goes up after initial release, was thinking about that yesterday. But will wait as I generally order both the Card and WB at the same time.

dave343

Got the MSI Trio X 3080 on a random mash of the F5 key Tuesday afternoon.

I am wondering if those reports of game crashing with the 3080 are true though, because Red Dead 2 just froze up with artifacts within 2 minutes.

That’s a fresh install of the latest NV drivers on a 1000w PSU, that previous had a 2080 super where I could play RDR2 with zero issues. It’s being “reported” that only the AIB cards are affected and it could be due to the higher clocks and short turn around time the AIBs had.

I knew something was fubar as soon as I entered Red Dead because when I called my horse it looked like it was wearing arctic digital camouflage 😂
Yeeaaahhh... this doesn’t look right but where let’s go horse... freeze crash, fml

Attachments

• C9CB7360-BEBC-4FE1-B1AF-F89A7571421C.jpeg
    C9CB7360-BEBC-4FE1-B1AF-F89A7571421C.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 12
  • D1A6CE8D-90E7-42AE-9438-8830FD261AE3.jpeg
    D1A6CE8D-90E7-42AE-9438-8830FD261AE3.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 12

Dwayne

Got the MSI Trio X 3080 on a random mash of the F5 key Tuesday afternoon.

I am wondering if those reports of game crashing with the 3080 are true though, because Red Dead 2 just froze up with artifacts within 2 minutes.

That’s a fresh install of the latest NV drivers on a 1000w PSU, that previous had a 2080 super where I could play RDR2 with zero issues. It’s being “reported” that only the AIB cards are affected and it could be due to the higher clocks and short turn around time the AIBs had.

I knew something was fubar as soon as I entered Red Dead because when I called my horse it looked like it was wearing arctic digital camouflage 😂
Yeeaaahhh... this doesn’t look right but where let’s go horse... freeze crash, fml

Try using Afterburner and underclocking and see what happens? Is the PSU a single rail 12V model? Modular? Does it have those wonkie pigtail 8 pin connectors where you could connect 2 8 pin using only one cable?

dave343

Try using Afterburner and underclocking and see what happens? Is the PSU a single rail 12V model? Modular? Does it have those wonkie pigtail 8 pin connectors where you could connect 2 8 pin using only one cable?

tbh, I'm not well versed in PSU's to say if the Corsair HXi power supplies are single rail... I know it has 4 induvidual plugs for 8pin? Anyways, the MSI Trio requires 3x8pins, 2 of which I'm using my Cablemods cables, and the 3rd the original corsair NONE are daisy chained. See the picture I attached above.

Some reports say lowering the clockspeed is helping... I haven't tried that yet because, well, why should I have too... lol... wasn't it MSI's job to test out their clocks.. but since it's been reported to fix the issue I can try it.

Dwayne

tbh, I'm not well versed in PSU's to say if the Corsair HXi power supplies are single rail... I know it has 4 induvidual plugs for 8pin? Anyways, the MSI Trio requires 3x8pins, 2 of which I'm using my Cablemods cables, and the 3rd the original corsair NONE are daisy chained. See the picture I attached above.

Some reports say lowering the clockspeed is helping... I haven't tried that yet because, well, why should I have too... lol... wasn't it MSI's job to test out their clocks.. but since it's been reported to fix the issue I can try it.

Looks like a great PSU, and using 3 cables to connect it is the right thing to do. The Corsair site says it is switchable between a single rail and multi-rail but I could not find out how from the online pamphlet. It might be something you do with software and the Corsair Digital Link thing. Chances are it is set to single rail, which should mean all of the 12V current is pulled through the connectors, and not split between different connectors, but it would be good to figure out just for your own peace of mind. If it is set to multi rail then knowing how the current is split between the connectors is important so you can balance the power draw across the rails.

As for the card, it should work without tweaks, but if it doesn't, then you have to work around until the problems are fixed, or you RMA the card because it is faulty. I would hope the problems are driver related and easily fixed, but who knows with a new launch.

Latest posts

Twitter