What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

sswilson

Staff member
With these cards being so power hungry, and having multiple 8 pin connectors I wonder if it's time to start paying attention to single rail and true 8 pin connector PSUs (as opposed to the 6+2 connectors).

clshades

@Dwayne I've read that underclocking 100mhz helps fix the crashing problem. Doesn't leave much hope for a TI version if these are already crashing.

Dwayne

@Dwayne I've read that underclocking 100mhz helps fix the crashing problem. Doesn't leave much hope for a TI version if these are already crashing.

The question is why, if this is such a widespread problem, are they crashing. I have a feeling it is a combination of problems across a wide spectrum. There are probably a lot of people out there with old or inexpensive PSUs having issues. People who had no problem driving a 1080 maybe? Perhaps driver issues, although a simple roll back could confirm that. Maybe it is a couple of particular games that need something? The PC landscape is huge, and filled with people of varying knowledge and experience.

And we can't forget the extra buzz created by the "other" GPU adherent's amplifying the issues. Nothing better than reading the trolls tell everyone how they are "waiting for the next release" that will be a killer :)

clshades

The question is why, if this is such a widespread problem, are they crashing. I have a feeling it is a combination of problems across a wide spectrum. There are probably a lot of people out there with old or inexpensive PSUs having issues. People who had no problem driving a 1080 maybe? Perhaps driver issues, although a simple roll back could confirm that. Maybe it is a couple of particular games that need something? The PC landscape is huge, and filled with people of varying knowledge and experience.

And we can't forget the extra buzz created by the "other" GPU adherent's amplifying the issues. Nothing better than reading the trolls tell everyone how they are "waiting for the next release" that will be a killer :)

@Dwayne I'm only guessing at this point. Test rigs would have a pretty basic install of windows, assuming they used windows, with next to nothing else installed. My old 780ti kingpin, amazing card, would run some games no problem cranked. Then COD would crash instantly at certain frequencies.

People are gonna be testing PSU's pretty hard looking for issues moving forward.

sswilson

Staff member
Ouch!!! So out of two choices (replace/repair hardware or soft/firmware nerfing) which do we think the manufacturers are more likely to go with??? :(

ern88

Ya, I'll wait for AMD to announce Big Navi. And give time for Nvidia's AIB partners to sort out the problems with the 3080. Glad to see that ASUS didn't cheap out on the TUF card.

Dwayne

If this is the problem then it is, at the very least, fixable. The first solution is to down clock for the time being, and the second is to complain to the AIB manufacturers to fix the problem by beefing up the capacitor arrays and RMAing the cards that were sold, after they retool. I expect that is what will happen, to avoid the virtual sh*t storm, but you never know. Companies that didn't cut corners, as it appears with the ASUS TUF card, should be fine. Jayztwocents just did a video where he took apart all the cards he had to look at the capacitor arrays.

I have a feeling that this could have been caught earlier if the AIBs were not given a choice on the caps. There is also discussion surrounding the report that the AIB partners could not test the cards properly due to not receiving the drivers earlier. They only received a couple of NVidia designed testing procedures, and I suspect the lack of drivers was to minimize leaking as much as possible.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Wow. Guess I'll wait for the v2 cards after all.
It's not even like this is anecdotal info, we have members on the forums here experiencing this before it was even announced. Scary.