What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

ipaine

Well I knew the one I wanted wasn't going to be available anyways so I didn't even try to go anywhere. But the real question is if I have now missed out on placing a "pre-order/backorder" for it.

But like sswilson said, this is basically a paper launch if you ask me. I'm guessing that there couldn't have been more than a dozen or so cards for all Alberta in Memex. I mean why launch? I would have rather seen a launch pushed back by another week or two just to increase initial availability.

Launches like this just annoy your customers, and I can guarantee they are losing some sales because of it. Some people will just get over that I must buy feeling and then start waiting to see what AMD has, or if the rumored 20gb model comes out, etc.

Lysrin

Maybe AMD's offering will come, and it will NOT be a paper launch, and will steal NVIDIA's thunder... maybe? Odds...? :D

Skippman

I'm just getting real tired of this. Online retailers do virtually nothing to stop scalping bots from going in and DDOSing sites trying to get the cards and eating up the entire supply. The Best Buy thing really pissed me off. Sold out on pre-order for a card that there was no pre-order option for? How shady can you get?

clshades

In store only. I drove by (ahem) randomly ...yes, randomly...yes...shortly before they opened. There was a lineup. I 'lol'd and kept going.
I'm late for work, for good damn reason! I don't want to buy another version of the card until I see reviews. I got burned badly once before.

clshades

Maybe AMD's offering will come, and it will NOT be a paper launch, and will steal NVIDIA's thunder... maybe? Odds...? :D
I'd love to see the big Navi in action. Obviously there's been a memory bottle neck if they both changed up the ram thing. My problem is I've already bought the DaVinci studio and they don't support red team.

FreeKnight

It feels like there's been a 'paper launch' or just massive supply/demand discrepancy for like the last several 'new' generations of GPUs. Maybe it's just always going to happen with GPUs having a ~2-3 year cycle in generations with a mid-gen refresh, compared to CPUs where 1-2 times a year there's a new set of chips out.

sswilson

Staff member
When a big box store like Best Buy (or online like newegg) is only getting a max of 10 units, that's not a consumer launch, that's black friday door crasher stock levels.

Izerous

Folding Team
Co-worker said when he looked at Edmonton memex inventory levels this morning righ tbefore the stores opened there was a total of 2 in south edmotnon and 1 in west edmonton. He has also seens posts basically stating it is a mining moster... so expect shortages and price hikes for those who do get their hands on them.

ipaine

I have managed to secure a evga FTW3 ultra card, well not in hand but once it comes in I got one. banana

How long that will take, unsure but at least I am on the list.

Latest posts