What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

Dwayne

EVGA has a statement on their forum.

"Hi all,

Recently there has been some discussion about the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 series.

During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch. There were no 6 POSCAP production EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 boards shipped.

But, due to the time crunch, some of the reviewers were sent a pre-production version with 6 POSCAP’s, we are working with those reviewers directly to replace their boards with production versions.
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 series with 5 POSCAPs + 10 MLCC solution is matched with the XC3 spec without issues.

Also note that we have updated the product pictures at EVGA.com to reflect the production components that shipped to gamers and enthusiasts since day 1 of product launch.
Once you receive the card you can compare for yourself, EVGA stands behind its products!

Thanks
EVGA
"

ipaine

At least I know why I don't already have a FTW3 in my system. Just hope more can get to MemEx so I can get mine.

rjbarker

At least I know why I don't already have a FTW3 in my system. Just hope more can get to MemEx so I can get mine.

Thats where you placed your order? Are you planning on WC'ing it with EK Block? I have been itchy to place an order for the same.....but absolutely no word yet anywhere re: EK's plans for Evga Cards.

ipaine

Yea I talked to a manager earlier in the week and then again on launch day and got in an order before you could preorder on the site, still launch day, just early morning. Just waiting for them to get some, hopefully sooner than later.

As for water no, I'm going to stick to air. At least at first. I might get a hybrid one as a step up maybe. Or if the 3080ti/super comes out within 90days of when I get the 3080ftw3 I'll step up to that, again ideally a hybrid solution. Well maybe, see how air runs first of course.

I'm just so used to using my 1080ti hybrids that pretty much only get up to 40-45c under load and still quiet. I get the feeling that hybrids or straight water blocks will make a decent difference this time around.

rjbarker

I personally dont follow EK Facebook or Twitter, but really hoping someone that does can confirm EK has something in the works for FTW3U

sswilson

Staff member

Pretty decent breakdown of the issues surrounding 3080 cards crashing.

I've mentioned it before, but I'm even more convinced that higher quality power delivery at the source (PSU) might help this. My thinking is that even quality PSUs which are at their peak output probably aren't putting out completely clean voltage.

I'd be really interested in seeing an affected card tested on a high quality 600W and then comparing those results against higher wattage PSU from the same platform.

Back in the day (sometime after the stone age, but before the modern age) Saphire's response to cards failing was to recommend a quality PSU (not just quality, but also specific brands/models) I suspect that worked because the quality PSUs were putting out a much cleaner signal which meant that sapphire's crappy power delivery section didn't have to work so hard to clean it up.

rjbarker

^^^^ I read the entire String on Evga Forum, including the official announcement by Evga posted by Jacob (Evga)......from what I read it was only early release Cards (POSCAPS vs MLCC) that Reviewers had in there hands that were affected......and that all Retail released Cards problem was addressed...... was I missing more ?

Dwayne

Lots of uncertainty out there. It appears that the problem is with the factory OC on AIB cards if they don't use a combination of the small MLCC caps and the larger CAPS (which are not POSCAPS according to Buildzoid). With NVidia only providing a couple of pass/fail software tests, testing by the AIBs did not include real world testing, because they are leaky as sieves when it comes to benchmark leaks. The more "budget" brands, and cards, could likely have the most issues because this really comes down to overclocking stability during boost (because many people claim they are not OCing the cards themselves).

But, all that to say that there could be other things happening around drivers and such as well.

Latest posts