What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

dave343

I believe the term is "base" frequency, and "boost". So, of course all the reviews are at "base", out of the box, frequencies without applying a manual overclock. How the card acts without user intervention is what we are after here, and all the reviewers offer there reviews using that configuration because that is going to be the typical user experience. I don't imagine more than 10% of the user base even cares what the clock speeds are, just how does it work when I turn it on.

Close yes, but their are 3 speeds. There is the real base which is 1440Mhz, then there is the "Boost" that your AIB advertises, eg; EVGA Gaming 1710MHz, and finally Nvidia has GPU Boost which is it's own boost, so if there is thermal and power headroom, Nvidia will boost even higher until it hits the ceiling, or in the current case crashes :ROFLMAO: @ or around 2GHz, I guess depending if you AIB cheapened out on the Power Delivery parts.

But I think it's important for everyone to understand that while it sucks your card crashes at 2GHz, you're only guaranteed whatever speed your AIB advertised. It's crashing because Nvidia GPU Boost and it's algorithm is boosting the card up as high as temps and power will allow, and obviously crashing because the particular AIB card you have cheaped out on caps. Solution, just lock the boost speeds for certain affected cards, and or have the Nvidia Driver not be so aggresive with it's boost algorithm.

Red Dead just completely froze up on me again... hope they release a FW or Driver update soon to bring down the boost speeds.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The comments on reddit a VERY promising as a lot of people are saying they're not crashing now.

Jay2cents might be giving the wrong 2 cents. Nothing like creating a shit storm for...reasons?

Dwayne

The comments on reddit a VERY promising as a lot of people are saying they're not crashing now.

Jay2cents might be giving the wrong 2 cents. Nothing like creating a shit storm for...reasons?

I don't think so. All he did was take what was a talking point from Igor's Lab and have a look at it. He has a wide audience though, so I guess perhaps there is some weight to that, but the general chatter started long before Jay's video.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I don't think so. All he did was take what was a talking point from Igor's Lab and have a look at it. He has a wide audience though, so I guess perhaps there is some weight to that, but the general chatter started long before Jay's video.

Agree, hes not the only one, just the 'loudest'. I dont have a stake in the game, just want to have a working product.

I see people are saying that the vCore curve was changed in the driver for the 3080's. It would be interesting to see if this affects power consumption.

I'm still going to wait for feedback before upgrading drivers. My 2080s is stable in the games I play, and much like motherboard firmwares I dont upgrade for the sake of upgrading any more.

sswilson

Staff member
If the drivers have mostly resolved the issue that doesn't necessarily mean that Jay (or anybody else pointing to the capacitors) was/is wrong.

If anything, I'd argue that if they have indeed nerfed performance through drivers to resolve the issue (as opposed to a hardware fix or card firmware fix) then folks who've got the beefier capacitor setup are going to be penalized for the sake of the ones that are crashing.

JD

Staff member
then folks who've got the beefier capacitor setup are going to be penalized for the sake of the ones that are crashing.
I guess with NVIDIA's reference design not being well defined, it's open to interpretation as to what the "base" performance is. I don't think card manufacturers have any easy way to deliver BIOS/firmware updates though, at least not automatically through driver updates. I suppose either way though, certain brands have tarnished their image now. Zotac's Twitter response is probably the most laughable saying they'll send you a free mooncake!

Dwayne

If the drivers have mostly resolved the issue that doesn't necessarily mean that Jay (or anybody else pointing to the capacitors) was/is wrong.

If anything, I'd argue that if they have indeed nerfed performance through drivers to resolve the issue (as opposed to a hardware fix or card firmware fix) then folks who've got the beefier capacitor setup are going to be penalized for the sake of the ones that are crashing.

I don't think a driver can affect the boost table on the card. I could be wrong, but to make the changes it would have to be a firmware update, no? Boost 3.0 was implements back with the 1000 series cards, and perhaps they just need to tweak it for the new architecture.

Entz

Windows has frameworks for updating firmware on a device. So it would be possible to initiate that via a driver update. It really depends on how they implemented it. If its in the BIOS then likely not, if its elsewhere then in theory they could update.

Certainly possible some registers only NVidia knows about can control this as well. It would be useful for testing/binning to have it software based and not be required to constantly flash.

Latest posts