What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

rommelrommel

I feel kinda dumb for not buying something or waitlisting on launch day. Now, I guess I just hobble along for another year and hope nvidia or amd can get supply sorted.

mGz

I feel kinda dumb for not buying something or waitlisting on launch day. Now, I guess I just hobble along for another year and hope nvidia or amd can get supply sorted.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

The situation we have right now was caused by a perfect storm of events. It won't be the last either.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
You generally cut power limit down to like 50% or so. My 3070 only pulls 115W while mining.
3080's draw about 250w if you're min/maxing H/R. I'd imagine 3090's do too. Thats ~1200w alone.

Perhaps he was throttling them enough to only use the 1x PSU? Seems silly given the (low) cost to add another PSU versus the return.

Still...looking at this ad I feel like we've gone back in time to the first mining craze. You couldnt find a used card at all, but at that time you could still at least buy new because it wasnt nearly as cost effective. Now though....yeesh.

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
There are 2 PSU's in that picture. Either a Typo or he is keeping one.

I wouldn't be running any PSU at 100%.

I am hating mining more and more each day.

-ST

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
There are 2 PSU's in that picture. Either a Typo or he is keeping one.

I wouldn't be running any PSU at 100%.

I am hating mining more and more each day.

-ST

I still game every night. You can probably also find me ranting on the forums here about how bullshit crypto is. I still think its bullshit. Not one proof of concept YET exists of an actual legitimate currency 'replacement' And they're still talking about "crypto 2.0" two years after they said it would be ready. Now they're talking about it again...and saying it'll be out in another 2 years.

But that doesnt mean I'm not going to use my downtime with my GPU not in use to take someones money. I've mined (and cashed out) almost $1000 since Christmas.

The problem isnt mining. Its mining farms like this one, and more directly, the overlap of a product stack.

mGz

Before I sold my 3090 aorus xtreme it would draw 425W with the stock bios. That was just playing cp2077...

I mined on that card for about two hours before noticing something was off. RTX 3090's aren't good cards to mine on (on air). GDDR6X modules were hitting 110C stock.

rjbarker

I still game every night. You can probably also find me ranting on the forums here about how bullshit crypto is. I still think its bullshit. Not one proof of concept YET exists of an actual legitimate currency 'replacement' And they're still talking about "crypto 2.0" two years after they said it would be ready. Now they're talking about it again...and saying it'll be out in another 2 years.

But that doesnt mean I'm not going to use my downtime with my GPU not in use to take someones money. I've mined (and cashed out) almost $1000 since Christmas.

The problem isnt mining. Its mining farms like this one, and more directly, the overlap of a product stack.

Yep guess all of us legitimate gamers,,,,enthusiasts and hobbiest that could give a rats ass about "making" equivilant to a Cerb cheque over the course of a few months are now looking at being forced to hang onto our aging GPU's or switch to a fvckin console.......what a joke all this shvt is...sure has put me off....never thought 6 months after release we would be here with no cards available, worse yet likely go on for another ?????
Another few months of this crap and I'll buy bloody scalpers card!
On a good note should be able to sell my 1080Ti's to some miner for $800 each ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts