What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3200 speed memory in an older (i5 6500) board that only supports up to 2133?

sswilson

Staff member
I'm going to slave in one of my desktop sticks (once W10 21H2 finishes installing on a mech HDD... :) ) to test, but maybe somebody here knows for sure....

I'm going to bump my HP's memory up to 16GB and there's a stick for sale in the BST, but it's almost guaranteed that the SPD timings table on a stick of 3200 doesn't go down as low as the 2133 speeds the HP is rated for.....

Should it work? Would a stick of 3200's timing's table go down that far but we only see the top 4 in CPU-Z?

Inquiring minds want to know.... :)

Izerous

Folding Team
Ram gets nerfed down to 2133, daughters laptop, brother inlaws pre-built etc. The pre-built really annoys me because they advertise 3200 ram on the box and marketing material but only 2133 is supported by the bios.

sswilson

Staff member
Ram gets nerfed down to 2133, daughters laptop, brother inlaws pre-built etc. The pre-built really annoys me because they advertise 3200 ram on the box and marketing material but only 2133 is supported by the bios.

That's what I'm counting on, but will verify shortly.

I guess the real question I should have asked would be whether or not all DDR 4 sticks would be completely backward compatible with earlier DDR 4 speeds.