What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3200G not supported on Asus Prime A520 mobo - but it works

fitbrit

I didn't know that the A520 doesn't support the 3200G or 3400G APUs. I bought the Prime A520M-K and it worked right out of the box, even before I updated to the latest BIOS. Seems rock stable too with XMP enabled. I only discovered that it shouldn't work on anything earlier than the Renoir 4xxx APUs.

Tomorrow, I am going to try a Pro 4650G on a B450 Aorus board - maybe even one mini ITX and one mATX. I might have to boot with a 3200G first and upgrade to the F51 BIOS, which some rumours say allow the B450 to run Renoir. Not holding my breath. but am hoping a future BIOS will allow this like AMD promised in May

fitbrit

not surprised it's working...but bare in mind that you could get bugs / glitches / gremlins that cannot be explained of solved.

also, beware new BIOS updates as older CPU support will be removed for newer.

Yes, if the older CPU support on the B450 boards is removed, I won't care too much; one of the features I need is only present on Gigabyte B450 boards and if they will support Renoir, I'm all set - I will never go back down to 3x00G in those cases. The feature seems to be being phased out by Gigabyte and is not present on any AM4 boards after B450. My company gambled with purchasing a large quantity of mobos when it was announced they'll support Renoir. Getting kinda nervous now as no BIOS updates have been announced to achieve this officially. But then again, Renoir is hardly available for sale in retail channels in North America either.

fitbrit

How come you have a Renoir APU ? They are not available at retail.
Like Mr. Friendly said. I bought one off a guy on RFD who had got a couple from Hong Kong. They're available on eBay and AliExpress.

I just proved to myself that the Renoir Ryzen 5 APU is good to go and is working fine on the A520. I'm just flashing the B450 Aorus M board to latest BIOS and will try Renoir with it in a moment. I'll report back in a new thread if that works, because that would be HUGE! I doubt it though.

fitbrit

The B450 Aorus M will NOT boot with Renoir on BIOS F51. The CPU light flashes momentarily and then the DRAM light stays red. The cycle repeats every 14 seconds or so. Clearly this is not going to work - yet.

MARSTG

Can you please do a passmark testing with the Renoir APU and share the graphics score with us ? Ok, so in general the Vega 8 is made with 8 CUs clocked @ 2.1 GHz while the 3400G has 11 CUs clocked @1.4 GHz. And in general at stock speeds Renoir 4750G has an advantage of 10-15% in front of Picasso 3400G. But the price of Renoir is at least double than 3400G ! Article

Last edited:

fitbrit

There are lots of benchmarks already out there. I'm afraid I don't have time to take from my company's research goals. Besides this is the Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G, not the Ryzen 7 version. I can tell you that it runs a little cooler than the 3400G and it takes less time to render a 4K HDR frame than the 3400G even with MadVR tone mapping turned on. I don't use these APUs for games, rather for high quality video playback